VW 1.9L TDI Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we were talking older diesels, I would say they are fantastic. The newer TDIs, along with VWs lack of quality control and their poor electronics, make this, and any other newer VW, a nightmare. My personal experience is as follows; I had one blow up at 110,000km. Oil changes run about $300+, turbos last less than a year, and the CEL is almost always on. Add to this the electronic gremlins, and it's just not worth it.

Originally Posted By: DC_Stewart
If we were talking older diesels, I would say they are fantastic. The newer TDIs, along with VWs lack of quality control and their poor electronics, make this, and any other newer VW, a nightmare. My personal experience is as follows; I had one blow up at 110,000km. Oil changes run about $300+, turbos last less than a year, and the CEL is almost always on. Add to this the electronic gremlins, and it's just not worth it.

The oil capacity is about 4 1/4 liters, and even the best spec oil is about $9. So 5 liters leaves you plenty for topping-up. Oil filters are about $7, so total cost less than $55. So how in [censored] did you spend $300?

What blew up at 110k kilometers? The engines ought to be good for 2 million kilometers... a lot longer than the rest of the car will last, but still...

I did replace my turbo at 250k miles -- but the old one was still fine, I only did it because I got a deal I could not refuse. Quite a lot more power than the original, and still getting 50 mpg on long trips.

As for quality control and electrical gremlins... maybe I lucked out.

The best reason to avoid Volkswagens is because of terrible dealership service. But that is mainly a reason to avoid dealerships.

I've no concerns about the TDI engine longevity, my concern is how well the car that is wrapped around it will hold up past 300,000 miles and beyond. VW's are very thoroughly treated for corrosion resistance,so the body ought to stay solid. Mainly the interior and bells and whistles that are of concern as wear mounts. But this is true for every vehicle.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I've no concerns about the TDI engine longevity, my concern is how well the car that is wrapped around it will hold up past 300,000 miles and beyond. VW's are very thoroughly treated for corrosion resistance,so the body ought to stay solid. Mainly the interior and bells and whistles that are of concern as wear mounts. But this is true for every vehicle.

As long as you can avoid collisions with other vehicles, or with fixed obstacles, your NB TDI will last as long as you want it to. Most of the primary components are very reliable -- in almost 300k miles the list of parts I've replaced is very short: shocks and struts, of course; brakes (about 90k miles on rears, 140k miles on fronts); clutch after I added mods which increased power by well over 50%; an alternator; and a starter, which was still fine but was making an awful noise, it just needed cleaning and lubing but the labor was about the same either way.

The interior is still pretty good, the exterior is good except driving into a really nasty dust storm resulted in the front bumper getting sand-blasted pretty good, it needs some touch-up paint.

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I'd like to hear an explanation for that $300 oil change.

That's about what a 20k mile service runs. An oil change by itself is a lot less.

$300 was exactly what the dealer wanted to do our 20K service. Did it myself for about $80, used Mann filters-- oil, air, and fuel and Elf Excellium DID 5W40.

There is a VAST difference in VW quality from 2004 ish onwards vs. prior years. My 2006 Jetta TDi has been flawless so far. Oil is about 7 dollars a quart and a VW filter is about the same.

Interesting.

My experience is that Jettas, Golfs, GTIs, and Cabrios tend to be a pain, but Passats aren't too bad.

That in mind, I haven't gotten to see a 2005+ Jetta or GTI come in for repairs, so I don't know how bad they are.

That, and VW diesels are uncommon here, so I can't say how reliable they are.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
What is the general consensus on VW 1.9L TDI motor? What kind of life span can one expect from it if properly cared for? What kind of oil does it tend to like? How does it do in the city and well as the highway for cruising hours at a time?

I have an 1.9L TDI ALH, 2003, a puppy @ 113,000 miles and going on 6/7 MY's. Let's put it this way, I liked it enough to take a chance on another 2.0 L TDI CBEA 2009.

The design lifespan parameters are 25,000 hours at 80% loading (one design is to be a mounted diesel generator). As you probably can guess, hardly any driving is routinely done at 80% loading (5100 RPMS @ 80%=4, 080 rpms). So of course what one engine individually does is... individual.

However IF the avg mph is 35-50 mph, THEN that mikes out to 875,000 to 1,250,000 miles. Proper care (all things being equal & they are... NOT) is waterless(no H20)D2 ULSD fuel and 100,000 mile TB/WP changes and VAG.com tuning.

Oils depend on the VW oem recommend for the MY. The best is to see the owners manual for the recommendation. VW 507.00 is the latest "backward compatible" recommended oil. This happens to be a 5w30 oil. I would be more inclined (actually do) to use the specific recommedation for that model year until a lot more UOA's are done on the VW 507.00 oils (for that MY)

However on the ALH, with further research, I decided to use Delvac One 5w40, aka, Mobil One Truck and SUV 5w40, Mobil One TDT 5w40. By all reports, it/they is/are a stellar off the shelf product/s.

I am told city traffic is generally not good for the TDI, but I do drive on the Streets of San Francisco. My lowest mpg was in a 3 hour (stop and go mostly stop and idle) funeral procession with 4 business suited people with the A/C blasting, @ 44 mpg. As for the highway cruising for hours on end, it was made and designed to do EXACTLY that ! I have gone from Daytona Beach FL (close by) to Houston TX, which is app 1,050 miles, solo in a day.

With up to 4 drivers, there no real reason why it could not have been much further and closer to 24/7. With breakfast lunch dinner and potty breaks make that closer to 21/7.

The mpg range has been from a low of 44 to 62 mpg. A daily commute ranges from 48-52 mpg. I once did a return trip which registered 59 mpg, three states and 1 foreign country @ 75 mph with bursts to 80. (three states had 5 highway patrol cars- 1 radar gunner 2 cars each direction chase vehicles, roving customer service wolf packs in full predation mode, the border had a light I am told 45 min stop and go crossing)

Last edited:
My old 02 TDI, ALH motor... the only thing that gave me problems was the [censored] Bosch MAF. Eventually I got tired of it, and used a Pierburg MAF insert.

That... and EGR clogging, but the EGR mod helped considerably.

for the PD motors, from what I heard at Fred's is 507 is basically liquid death

Lots of "bad" info in this thread. BE CAREFUL!

Here is the straight scoop on the BRM (PD) engine ONLY! This data does not apply to NON PD engines!

The VW PD engine came to the states in 2004, was installed in the Jetta and beetle until 2006 and 1/2. It is a unusual engine with some problems that are not properly worked out. Quotes like "any disel engine should go 500K" simply don't apply to this engine.

First and foremost, the camshaft and lifters wear quite rapidly, regardless of the oil used. Proper 505.01 use and frequent changes don't seem to add life to the cam/lifters. Each and every valve cover pulled shows some wear. Remember, this is unusual in modern times! How much wear is acceptable is up to the mechanic to determine. But, suffice to say, they are wearing out quite quickly. This wear contaminates the engine with hardened, small steel particulates, including the oil filter/cooler assy. Just how good this is for engine longevity, no one knows:)

To make it more confusing, there is some data that PD engines made in Germany last longer. That means the Polish ones are likely to contain soft camshafts.

Here are well over 1000 posts on just how big this problem is!

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=225918

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Here is the straight scoop on the BRM (PD) engine ONLY! This data does not apply to NON PD engines!

The VW PD engine came to the states in 2004, was installed in the Jetta and beetle until 2006 and 1/2. It is a unusual engine with some problems that are not properly worked out. Quotes like "any disel engine should go 500K" simply don't apply to this engine.

Replace the camshaft and lifters, and the engine will be good for another 100k-200k miles.

Folks are not just going to replace engines or entire cars because of this weakness.

What is not known is whether the replacement parts will last longer than the OE ones.

crazy2.gif
WTH?

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
crazy2.gif
WTH?

His nightmare is not typical of all TDI owners. However, the TDI experience is not going to be as wonderful as it ought to be if the owner relies on VW dealerships for maintenance and repairs. Great cars, terrible dealerships.

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Originally Posted By: Cujet

Replace the camshaft and lifters, and the engine will be good for another 100k-200k miles.

Folks are not just going to replace engines or entire cars because of this weakness.

What is not known is whether the replacement parts will last longer than the OE ones.

That's a $2000.00 DIY project, or maybe $2500.00 at the dealer. Couple that with the Dual Mass Flywheel failures (100% failure rate) at $1500.00 and the EGR cooler failures (100% failue rate) $800.00 and this "engine" becomes real close to a lemon.

Maybe you forgot about the intake manifold (throttle) EGR flow rate actuation system that has the plastic gear failures too. That one is cheap at $400.00 DIY.

Other than that, the engine is great
frown.gif

How come the PD engine has been goin' strong in Europe for so long, rackin' up the kilometers? Are there no Polish built engines in service there over the years?

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
How come the PD engine has been goin' strong in Europe for so long, rackin' up the kilometers? Are there no Polish built engines in service there over the years?

It's a case for Unsolved Mysteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back