VW 1.8T Oil Report - M1 5W-50 on 23,500 Mi rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi gents, this post is a follow up on my last oil report linked here.

I'm pleased with the results given that my car is a highly modified one pushing 350whp daily driven miles.
Mobil_1_5W_50_5000_Mi.jpg

I think from now on this will be my preferred choice of motor oil.

Don R

Wear is fine, but the oil sheared to a low 40wt in 5000 miles. As I've said multiple times, ANY 0w-40 or 5w-50 will shear like crazy in a turbocharged motor. In this case however, the oil is still plenty thick for the application.

The only concern I'd have in using a 5w-50 here is that the large amount of VI modifier needed to make an SAE 5w-50 can contribute to high temp deposits in a turbo motor.

TS

Thanks for the response. I'm not versed enough with motor oil engineering terms, etc...etc...but should be suggested for my application and why would the oil cause hi-temp deposits? What indicates that it has sheared to a 40w?

Thanks,

Don R

Perhaps a candidate for GC? I use it to good effect in my non-modified 1.8T combined with a trash-can sized Napa Gold (Wix) filter...

John.

You can use this chart to check weight vs. SUS viscosity. Your SUS was 72, which is on the lower end of a 40wt. and very close to a 30wt, especially considering where it started from.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back