VW 1.8T Oil Report - M1 5W-50 on 23,500 Mi rebuild

Hi gents, this post is a follow up on my last oil report linked here. I'm pleased with the results given that my car is a highly modified one pushing 350whp daily driven miles. I think from now on this will be my preferred choice of motor oil. Don R

Wear is fine, but the oil sheared to a low 40wt in 5000 miles. As I've said multiple times, ANY 0w-40 or 5w-50 will shear like crazy in a turbocharged motor. In this case however, the oil is still plenty thick for the application. The only concern I'd have in using a 5w-50 here is that the large amount of VI modifier needed to make an SAE 5w-50 can contribute to high temp deposits in a turbo motor. TS

DonR

Thanks for the response. I'm not versed enough with motor oil engineering terms, etc...etc...but should be suggested for my application and why would the oil cause hi-temp deposits? What indicates that it has sheared to a 40w? Thanks, Don R

mdv

You can use this chart to check weight vs. SUS viscosity. Your SUS was 72, which is on the lower end of a 40wt. and very close to a 30wt, especially considering where it started from.