VVTi rattle

My 2013 Camry has the typical 2AR-FE cold start rattle. The rattle lasts for only about one second and is only on a “real” cold start. Has been there since I got the car back in May 21’ when it had 109k miles, It now has 121k miles and the sound is still the same. Just curious if anyone else has experience on this.

Try some M1 EP High Mileage 0w20. I don't notice the start up rattle any more on my '12 Camry with same engine and a little over 92k miles. It wasn't an immediate change and took a few weeks.

Try some M1 EP High Mileage 0w20. I don't notice the start up rattle any more on my '12 Camry with same engine and a little over 92k miles. It wasn't an immediate change and took a few weeks.
I kinda wanted to avoid High Mileage oil as long as I can. As of now, my engine doesn’t burn any noticeable amount of oil between changes nor does it have any leaks.

My 2013 Camry has the typical 2AR-FE cold start rattle. The rattle lasts for only about one second and is only on a “real” cold start. Has been there since I got the car back in May 21’ when it had 109k miles, It now has 121k miles and the sound is still the same. Just curious if anyone else has experience on this.
What's your OCI?
Also, what kind of oil are you using?

FYI this issue isn't isolated to Toyota alone.
Honda and Hyundai are also included in the list of engine manufacturers with the issue.

You’re scratching around about HM oil when oil is neither the problem nor the fix.
I was simply stating that no reason to use high mileage oil, as it’s designed for leaky burning engines both of which my engine doesn’t suffer from. I’m aware it’s not an oil issue, that’s why I posted in General Automotive.

I was simply stating that no reason to use high mileage oil, as it’s designed for leaky burning engines both of which my engine doesn’t suffer from. I’m aware it’s not an oil issue, that’s why I posted in General Automotive.
Which in a practical sense has become pretty meaningless now since most if not all HM oils are API SP.

Which in a practical sense has become pretty meaningless now since most if not all HM oils are API SP.
All engine oils have a certain quantity of seal conditioners and swelling agents. The HM oils contain more, but the quantity does not prevent the oil from passing any API seal compatibility/performance tests.

In summary, I don't think they will cause any long-term harm to seals.

Back