vulcan smacked valve into piston

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Taurus at my work had zero compression on 3rd cyl. So I took the head off and sure enough the valve contacted the piston. Engine has 105,000 miles . Car is taken care of guy was doing 78mph when it happened. Anyone seen one of thsee just fail without an obvious reason.

Sounds like the valve floated during a passing maneuver.... tromp the gas,trans downshifts.. high rpm.. valve floats.. piston does what pistons do and wham. One possible explanation anyway.

My vulcan has red on the tach starting about 5500 RPM. I don't ever go above that. I have 205K miles on it now though. I regularly get on the freeway pushing 4K on the tach. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
My vulcan has red on the tach
......My Taurii doesn't have a redline
frown.gif

Floor it?
laugh.gif

Flooring intensifies

I think back on the 15 years or so I spent as an indy and a dealership tech and I can only remember one case of a Vulcan mechanical failure, and that was a broken camshaft. I have seen a couple fail, in Rangers, due to driving through high water and hydrolocking them, but that is a problem with the driver, not the engine. Still one of the most dependable longest lived engines FoMoCo ever kicked out the door. Come to think of it, I think maybe a couple of distributor/stub shaft failures, but nothing that sticks in my head.

Maybe the transmission is on its way out and it flared into neutral for 1/2 second trying to drop 4-2 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back