VSOP and SLOB?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those used to be the adds of the day many years ago, an eon. Is Valvoline still selling it? I believe it was a zinc-booster. SLOB was an additive that boosted zinc and something else, moly, phosphorous, can't remember which. SLOB was sold at this or that dollar store. VSOP everywhere. Guys used to brag about their VSOP and SLOB stashes.

I had a small stash of SLOB and ONLY purchased the VSOP when on sale at PepBoys.

By the time that I finally used up my stash of SLOB, it had gotten sort'a chunky, kind'a like Oat Meal so, I threw it away with my old used oil. I wasn't going to risk using the SLOB any longer for the .50-$1/bottle that I paid for it!

Last edited:
Both are no longer made. I still have a nice supply of VSOT on hand, I used it in an older vehicle I've disposed of. I should see if I can sell it. The product is still good and is only taking up shelf space.

I've still got 12 bottles of SLOB left. The problem I've run into is that the bottles have become very brittle and I have to be very careful when I open one as it has a tendency to shatter if I'm not careful.

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
I've still got 12 bottles of SLOB left. The problem I've run into is that the bottles have become very brittle and I have to be very careful when I open one as it has a tendency to shatter if I'm not careful.

I remember a few members complaining about that. I'd save some oil bottles next time you change your oil and re-bottle it.

My VOST bottles are as good as new, Valvoline used better bottles for it.

I have exactly ONE bottle of VSOP left.

This stuff is SO viscous that I would NEVER use it for/during a winter OCI.
31.gif

Quote:
I used it in an older vehicle I've disposed of.

Same story here, except I have 3 bottles of SLOB. I meant to put it in the trunk of the 81 LTD when I sold it, but forgot. Any thoughts about use in 2000+ (Ford 3.0 Vulcan, 4.6 mod) engines? Any harm? I hate to just dump it in with old oil for recycling.

Would it do any good to use my stash of SLOB in my 2001 F150 5.4 with 136,000 miles running 1-2 oil changes per year with OCI of 3-6k miles.

Oil is usually MC5w-30 blend but I also have QS Defy which appears to have extra zinc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back