VR1 20w50 1500 miles race smallblock chevy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ

This is for a friend. Is a 60s Chevelle with a high compression race gas smallblock that sees primarily hard street use.
Had intake manifold coolant leak recently.

It is ugly and I don't know if you guys can tell anything.
Engine has 25K overall mileage 1500 on this 8quart fill of Valvoline VR1 synthetic 20w-50

aluminum 6
chromium 4
copper 10
iron 61
lead >500
tin 7
silicon 36
potasium 54
sodium >999
moly 6
water

Visc@ 100 19.2
Glycol ND
fuel TBN 9.7
nitration

analysis was done by Cummins in DePere WI,

I should see if I can get him to send a picture of some of this oil. Let's just say no analysis was needed to make you cringe.

That thing is coming apart. Lead is beyond high. Iron is pretty high. K&N air filter? Or is this the oil that was in it when he replaced the intake gaskets.

With the lead that high I'd imagine that a bearing is showing Copper.

I'm not a Valvoline fan but the oil is not causing this much wear.

Last edited:
look at the sodium level. This engine was definitely suffering from coolant contamination.

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
Was your friend using leaded fuel ? Could explain the high lead numbers.

Agreed. Given the fuel dilution, lead from the fuel would account for some of the high lead levels. Either way, might not be a bad idea to pull a bearing cap and see how the bearings look.

New shortblock parts are being ordered. Engine is still together but is being redone this winter.

I will send him a link and either get him ti singnup or I can post his feedback.

for 1500mi that lead level is LOW for leaded fuel. a very NON-issue.

silicon is high
iron is high

the visc has to be a typo

take another sample and send it to southwest and also blackstoned

well considering i got a reading of 651ppm in as little as 180 miles in my bike. his is low....unless you add another column (ie >5000.

VR1 is a synthetic? I saw it sitting next to the Synpower, and it's in the same type and color of bottle, but I didn't see any mention of it being synthetic.

I am Jake. I own the engine in question. It is dino oil. I am not sure why cummins labeled it synthetic. The fuel is a leaded race fuel.

We did find an intake gasket leaking.

Thanks

Jake

Originally Posted By: Chris142
That thing is coming apart. Lead is beyond high. Iron is pretty high. K&N air filter? Or is this the oil that was in it when he replaced the intake gaskets.

With the lead that high I'd imagine that a bearing is showing Copper.

I'm not a Valvoline fan but the oil is not causing this much wear.

Yes K&N Filter
Yes this was the oil that was in it before, I changed the gasket. I did not want that oil contaminated.

No, this engine is not coming apart. I saw the bearings around 5000 miles ago. Still look new. They are coated H's.

Thanks for all the responses guys.

Jake

Originally Posted By: flacoman
The lead is from the fuel :)

Would that amount of lead be amplified by the intake leak????? Or is this the norm, and should I increase the oil change interval?

Thanks

Jake

Originally Posted By: flacoman
Is this engine carb'd? If so the fuel vapor (and lead) would be getting percolated throught the oil.
HTH
Jorge

Yes it is carbed.

Jake

Early in this thread, there was a comment about VR1. Is there a better oil I should be running. This a mech flat tappet app with around 270 at .050, and .400 at the lobe.

I am not into the data really, I just use what has worked for me. I have been running the VR1 with half a qt of Lucas for years. With 4.56's and 26 inch radials, this setup sees plenty of rpm, and lots of abuse. That cam is on its third or fourth set of springs now :D

Thanks

Jake

ka426 has something for penn grade 1. He says something about every chance he gets.

Truth is you can't really tell how good the oil was doing in this application, becuase of the coolant contamination.

If you really want a good recommendation and don't mind spend some extra cash look into terry dyson.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wapacz
ka426 has something for penn grade 1. He says something about every chance he gets.

Truth is you can't really tell how good the oil was doing in this application, becuase of the coolant contamination.

If you really want a good recommendation and don't mind spend some extra cash look into terry dyson.

I guage this oils performance, solely on results. I have seen alot of flat tappets go round lately, and yet this particular combo lives and lives well.

What is your opinion of the iron level, I was told that it is acceptable, yet it was noted here that it was high???????

Thanks

Jake

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back