VQ M1 0w40 OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Nissan Maxima 3.5
have M1 0w40 on deck at around 72,000 all by me.
ran GTX for 3750 until 30k. then M1 5w30 for 5k oci
then 5w30EP 7500
11k per year.
mostly short trips though I drive her right away gently below 2500 RPM until warm. only redline on highway once warm. have done 30 min drives more often. but still 10 min commute daily. summers see a few 150 trips to the beach. Winters often 40 min trip to mountain.

Ugh I keep going back and forth between either:
continuing every 7500 regardless
or
Spring and fall (about 5500 OCI)

VQ35 burning a quart every 1000.
although my PCV is overdue, never changed... but will this spring with new plugs and my Thermal Intake Spacer kit arriving Monday. Should be all done just beyond 75000 miles.

was debating once a year since I knew M1 can do it for 11k and whether spring or fall... then all the VQs beating up on oil I got more conservative.
I have now 23 quarts stocked up and a dozen filters. So only once a year changes, my oil will reach it's shelf life and I will likely have extra filters after the car unfortunately is no more. Though ideally I bought this car in 04 new getting 300,000+ on her.

No question that it will last since you are topping off so often---any synthetic would but the 0W-40 is a premium oil. I've been thinking of trying this oil and my current fill is Mobil EP 5W-30. Since you have used both oils just wondering what differences you might have noticed, especially MPG wise.

M1 0w40 is a top oil in XOM's US stock. I would try it once and see what happens with the oil consumption. BUT If it stays the same I would use M1 "vanilla" 5w30 and do 7500+ OCI's. Like sangyup81 said you are replenishing the oil often so using extended drain oils is kind of pointless. Stick with the regular M1 if nothing changes with the 0W40. Also, CHANGE YOUR PCV VALVE!! ASAP.lol...but really serious

Originally Posted By: Capa
No question that it will last since you are topping off so often---any synthetic would but the 0W-40 is a premium oil. I've been thinking of trying this oil and my current fill is Mobil EP 5W-30. Since you have used both oils just wondering what differences you might have noticed, especially MPG wise.

Capa, I have used the EP, excellent quality I'm sure but no mpg changes or butt dyno changes compared to M1 "vanilla".

I'm stocked on 0w40 so no turning back. still have 4500 on this current 5w30 to go. So no comparison in mpg. just that i'm back down to 20 mpg bc of the cold. I have a "mix" since I just topped off with my 1st qt of 0w40.

Yeah the PCV is starting to bother me. I bought one just before the cold, but is not a simple swap. Well I have off this week, if the heated garage is free I might as well do spark plugs, my spacers and valve in one shot.

But if there really is something to this "I'm replenishing a quart every 3 months" why not just once a year change?

Wait.... the PCV needs to be changed out every so often? That seems odd. I mean mine does but i have 220k on it.

On the Maxima, you can reach it from the passenger side, just behind the intake manifold. Pull the tube and then use a wrench or deep socket to remove.

I know you can see it, but some things need to be removed. I also have a FSTB in the way which is no fun to remove.

Sorry just noticed...

I'm burning 1 quart every 3000 miles.

So I guess I'll simply add a quart at 3000, another at 6000, and change at 7500? So I will be using 6.5 quarts every 7500. Unless of course my PCV change and 0w40 reduce the consumption.

Make an experiment. Use pure mineral oil, something like GTX or Yellow Pennzoil 10w30. I am 90% sure that your Maxima will not consume it. I have some experience with these engines, I have now two of them.
Also I am 90% sure that your PCV valve is OK.

the 30k i ran from 0 with GTX, I do not recall ANY oil consumption.

with below 0 throughout my winter, no way i would go to 10 weight.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
the 30k i ran from 0 with GTX, I do not recall ANY oil consumption.

That's what I was talking about. Don't bother with PCV, it should be fine. Get rid of M1, use Castrol instead, even synthetic, and you are done. IMO.

Originally Posted By: NismoMax80
with below 0 throughout my winter, no way i would go to 10 weight.

Below zero in C or F? GTX 5w30 will definitely work for you at -18C (0F). In Russia I used to use 5w40 oils without any problem even with -30C (-22 F)

The VQ motors seem to do better with heavy-30s, like German Castrol. I suppose M1 0w40 would work but that's not even really close to the manufacturer recommendation.

Why not just fix the oil consumption problem? Band-aiding it with thicker oil seems like a bad idea.

Originally Posted By: dparm
The VQ motors seem to do better with heavy-30s, like German Castrol.

That's correct.

I suppose M1 0w40 would work but that's not even really close to the manufacturer recommendation.

Nissan recommends 5w30, 10w30 or 10w40. So I do not see any problem from this side.

Why not just fix the oil consumption problem? Band-aiding it with thicker oil seems like a bad idea.

Don't fix if it is not broken ;-)
Seriously, my point that everything is fine with this engine. For some reason engines of many manufactures (Subaru, Nissan etc) have higher oil consumption if Mobil1 is used. This does not mean that Mobil1 is a bad oil, of course, no. But I do not see any reason to stick on it. Especially if there are many good oils on a market.

P.S. I used to use M1 10w40 on same engine with good results. But this means nothing in this case...

My father's VQ35 has seen Mobil 1 for 70,000 miles and it burns no oil. My Mom's old VQ30 saw the same for 90,000 and burned none. Her new VQ35HR also sees Mobil 1 and consumes nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back