VP Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
first off, thanks for the education. i've been lurking for a long while, and have learned a lot.

question: i did a search and found nothing on VP Racing lubricants. the blurbs on their website make some pretty hairy claims. anyone have knowledge of or experience with these oils?

how about the gear lubes?

thanks.

-michael

Interesting, I've never heard of VP Racing oils, I only thought they made racing fuel.

Hopefully someone here knows more about them for you.

Welcome aboard by the way!

welcome.gif

Man, I sure love that 4-gram/gallon 104-octane leaded race fuel in this old big-bore/short stroke Chrysler (4.25" x 3.37"). Stuff is rocket fuel mixed properly with 92-octane. Todays gas is watered-down cat **** compared to what used to be available. Their leaded/unleaded fuel is pretty good for cars going into storage as it'll last for years compared to the 90-days-if-you're-lucky "fuel" from the corner gas station.

Their lead substitute is also good, but I know nothing of their lubricants either.

quote:

Their leaded/unleaded fuel is pretty good for cars going into storage as it'll last for years compared to the 90-days-if-you're-lucky "fuel" from the corner gas station.

we used to keep barrels of sunoco racing fuels, and if the lid wasn't tight, the fuel would go bad in a matter of a couple of months.

when i say "go bad," i mean engines would experience stumbles and misses, and dyno graphs would be +-20% zig-zags, until a fresh tank of gasoline went in.

easy fix: use it enough that you don't have it sitting around, or, cap it tightly after every fill.

we never let it sit in a car's tank for very long, but since tanks are vented, i just assumed this would be the same as an open barrel. from your experience, i'd say either the tank venting systems are a tighter seal than i thought, or VP fuels are more stable with time than sunoco fuels.

ya, check out the VP site, they have a lot of lubricants.

-michael

Michael, I should qualified the statement: unlike todays gasoline, a car with VP Racing Fuel that has been left to sit in storage for very long periods without draining is likely to start and run. I sure wouldn't want to claim it is gasoline as good as new.

I worked over a letter 300 Chrysler (1963) a few years ago that hadn't been run in 4-5 years. Had VP in it. Was awed that I could get it running well enough to rough in the fresh tune so as to drive it to a distant shop. (Nothing like a dual-quad 413 cid luxury car, whoa!) After a few miles, no sputtering or coughing.

Tank still had to come out, and I rebuilt the carbs, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared.

Smokey did a wonderful article in Circle Track on racing fuels, and stability.

A lot of them lost volatiles (suggestion, store the drum upside down), while others broke down in a beaker exposed to light.

Use of anything but bowser fuel down under is illegal, and can get you in supreme trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back