VP DPX-A OceanX - exhaust and cooling water

I have a 2011 VP DPX-A OceanX outdrive. The boat is new to me.

Started it on a work rack on muffs and all the cooling water was coming out from the outdrive next to the transom straight down. None from the propeller hub or the area right above the propeller. Now I only ran the engine for 5 minutes or so. I assume it had not warmed up yet.

Is this normal?

Sounds like a torn exhaust boot to me.
I agree but I know absolutely nothing about this drive. I did find this though and I am sure you must be right.
Unrelated. A regular VP SX Drive the water comes out of the propeller and once the thermostat opens comes out that large oval shaped tube above the propeller.

However in Don’s case he has fresh water cooling and I don’t know if that changes anything but you would think either way the water would be fully exiting the drive.

Here is why I’m sure you are right. Seems likely a cracked bellows.

Last edited:
On most I/Os at idle speed the majority of the water comes out of the idle relief ports in the bottom of the transom mount, that's normal, at speed when up on plane it comes out the prop. I've had the same boat/engine/drive for 20 years (OMC Cobra) and it's always been like that. Many other I/O set ups both Merc and Volvo SX I've seen do the same thing. Most water comes out the bottom of the transom mount, very little comes out the prop at idle.

Back