Vortec 4.8L VS Ford 4.6L VS Dodge 4.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of these engines have the best reliability overall? The 4.6 in my F150 performs flawless at almost 100k, but my buddies 2003 Ram 4.7L with 100K also runs great. No experience with the Chevy engine. TIA guys, hope your having a good Monday!

The 4.8 GM is rated the same EPA MPG as the 5.3.Why even bother? Back in the old days,the "small V8" was always known for better fuel economy (318 vs 360,302 vs 351,305 vs 350),with todays technology you can have it all in one engine.I think this is why you dont see many 4.8s,4.7s,4.6s....but you see plenty of 5.3s,5.7 HEMIs and 5.4 Tritons.

4.7L Mopar (Pre-2008): Problem carboned valve stems leading to popped off rockers or dropped valve seats.

4.6L Ford Pre-1999: Timing Chain Tensioner and Guide
4.6L PI: Spark Plug Blow Out taking seat with it
4.6L 3V (Early): Spark Plug carbon build up results in plug breaking and falling into cylinder during attempted removal.

4800 GM: Engine Knock, Oil Consumption, Possible broke ring land.

As you can see they all can have their issues. Most can be eliminated or minimized by proper attention to maintenance. Ive owned all three trucks but not the 4800 engine (I have had 4.3L and 5300 in Chevy). I have never experienced any of these issues on my personal vehicles.

Ive currently got a 2010 Ram Crew Cab 4x4 with the 310 bhp 4.7L and have a buddy with the 2010 F150 Supercab 4x2 with the 235 bhp 4.6L 2V PI and my truck is a little faster but his gets about 1-2 mpg better. So I would say apple to apple (4x4 vs 4x4) they would be about the same mpg. They both have the same 3.55 gearing.

If I was guessing I would give the edge to the Ford in reliability as its got the most development time. Taxis out there with 700,000 miles on the 4.6L.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
The 4.8 GM is rated the same EPA MPG as the 5.3.Why even bother? Back in the old days,the "small V8" was always known for better fuel economy (318 vs 360,302 vs 351,305 vs 350),with todays technology you can have it all in one engine.I think this is why you dont see many 4.8s,4.7s,4.6s....but you see plenty of 5.3s,5.7 HEMIs and 5.4 Tritons.

The 4.8L is rated the same for the same reason the Hemi is rated better than the 4.7L. The larger engines have MDS (They cut off some of the cylinders at cruise). In the real world the larger engines dont often beat the smaller ones in average mpg. Lifetime average (Hand-Calculated) is over 19 mpg on my Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 4.7L. Ive yet to find a Hemi that can make the same claim.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
Not sure, but I know the best aftermarket support is for the Ford. Also, they love boost and survive a long time with a good amount of it.

The 4.8 is an LS motor. Have you seen the aftermarket for that?

I asked a friend who's a Chevy Service Manager last night if he would pick the 4.8 or 5.3..he said if not towing go with the 4.8. Less complicated since it doesn't have AFM.

Well my uncles 5.4 Tritan burned a piston a few months ago, and my friends Ram with the 5.9 popped a motor before 100k...so I'd have to vote strongly for GM.

Ive been in a 5.4L Ford F150 King Cab (i think i have that right) it was a 2009 i think, and it was pretty [censored] powerful engine.

Not much experience with other trucks except maybe a 1996 5.2L Magnum Ram *not the 5.9 the 5.2 and it was pretty strong, no complaints about it, but i was impressed with the Ford. Pretty sure it was the larger engine, too.

Did anyone see the Hotrod magazine article were they turbocharged a stock 5.3 to see how much boost it would take before it blew up? They did over 60 dyno pulls, reached over 26 psi and 1200+ horsepower on the stock engine before the ignition system couldn't light off the mixture. The engine never failed, but they did find one glitch. The problem was the engine they were testing, the engine that they thought was a 5.3, wasn't, turned out to be a 4.8. 4 horsepower per cubic inch out of a stock engine, and it didn't grenade? If nothing else, you could say LS engines can take a beating..

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/hrdp_1109_stock_gm_ls_engine_big_bang_theory/

Last edited:
Yeah, if you're hot rodding the LS is a great start.

It's just that the Ford is cheaper to build. Heavy competition means better prices, and you will have a hard time putting together anything on a budget that will beat the Ford 4.6. It's tough.

That said, I'm still all Chevy here. Still cheap to rod, and major long life when stock. I've run dozens of LS style truck engines into the ground, and they last a really long time if they're stock and cared for.

For reliability, it is tough to knock the 4.6. Ford cranked out a ton of them, and for the car applications in particular, it would flat out run forever. In the trucks, it is by no means a powerhouse (some would consider it a downright slug), but it always got the job done when I needed it in my trucks, just working hard and douing it slower.

All in all, it is amazing what all three of the mentioned engines are capable of, and I wouldn't flinch at owning any of them.

The truck versions of the 4.6L Ford had full floating piston pins, Hypereutectic pistons and a number of other reliability related changes. It is one tough engine. However, many examples were intolerant of prolonged detonation on regular gas.

I ran mine with Mobil 1, 10W-30 and it's now at 260,000 miles, running perfectly. Company trucks had the same engine, and some made it 900,000 miles of delivery work. 4 transmissions, one engine!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The truck versions of the 4.6L Ford had full floating piston pins, Hypereutectic pistons and a number of other reliability related changes. It is one tough engine. However, many examples were intolerant of prolonged detonation on regular gas.

I ran mine with Mobil 1, 10W-30 and it's now at 260,000 miles, running perfectly. Company trucks had the same engine, and some made it 900,000 miles of delivery work. 4 transmissions, one engine!

Model years?

My buddy had what i think was a 2009 or 2010 F150 i forget, but it had pull like my former GF's 2003 Suburban.

Both of these vehicles had power for days. And both could power out of turns like you wouldnt believe, if you got on the throttle.

Ford 4.6L (SOHC) in my Tbird:
158k miles right now.

Replaced plastic intake with upgraded one w/ aluminum crossover as a precaution. (never had any trouble)
Replaced IAC Valve once.

Those are the only "repairs" ever done on my car. Still runs solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back