Volvo XC70

Status
Not open for further replies.
You may remember my post last week about the need for a new car for my wife. We're still looking at SUVs,but my wife has decided she also likes the Volvo XC70.

I don't know anyone whos owned a Volvo so I really have no idea about quality and such.

Surprisingly I find myself liking the XC70 as well. I never figured to like a mini-van or station wagon this much.

Can someone shed some light on the Volvos?

The only Volvo XC70 to consider are the new ones with the Haldex AWD. On older models, the AWD system is very picky and prone to failure if not meticulously maintained. Most issues with the earlier P2 platform XC70's have been resolved by this point I'd say.

I own three Volvos and they are great cars. (85 240 with 270,000mi, 98 V70, and 2002 S40) Just keep in mind that when you go to most shops they assume you like to spend money and will try to take you. The previous owner of my 98 V70 never got out of 'iffy lube for under $200. A lot of what he paid for was actually not done. Glad I know better than that guy.

I do my own maintenance so my Volvos are very cheap to own.

Do you really need AWD? Get a regular V70 and you will be better off. A V70 is the perfect family car.

quote:

Originally posted by mormit:

I do my own maintenance so my Volvos are very cheap to own.

Do you really need AWD? Get a regular V70 and you will be better off. A V70 is the perfect family car.

I do all my maintanance as well.

AWD isn't a neccesity but is very welcome in the NW. We get alot of rain and while we don't get a ton of snow in the lowlands,we do get a ton in the mountains. We spend alot of time in Eastern Wa.,so going thru the Mts. is a pretty regular event.

As far as the regular V70,its too plain for my wife. She likes the more agressive look of the XC70.

I agree the V70 is a better prospect than the overpriced, overfunctioned XC70. Will you ever go off-road, need awd, need extra ground clearance. I own a Toyota Kluger(Highlander) here in Australia and I need all 3 of those functions, but when I do not I use my Corolla Wagon.

The XC70 is my second favorite current-model Volvo, next to the R models. A very nice vehicle that is much more practical most days than a full-blown SUV.

Most V70s, other than the R or XC, are indeed on the vanilla side.

If you don't need the ground clearance, take a look at the V70R. It does everything the XC70 does, but much more quickly (and faster than most sports sedans and many sports cars, too).

My father has a 2004 XC70 and it's now got about 50k on it and has been very reliable. He has had a problem with one of the fog lights continuously burning out that they can't seem to solve, but other than that it's been great.

Give the V70R a look. It handles snow very well. You'll be fighting with your wife over who gets to drive it.

quote:

Originally posted by Stewart Fan:

quote:

Originally posted by surfstar:
Have you looked into Subaru's also? Seem like a similar choice with great reliability.

My wife thinks they're too small.

Checkout the inside of the Legacy 2.5 GT wagon, it's far from small and very powerful and cheaper.

Vanilla = less exciting to drive.

Test drive an R and then a standard V70, or even a 2.5T, and you'll immediately understand the difference.

Granted, the XC70 is no more potent than a 2.5T, but sports more aggressive styling and suspension elements.

The R plays in an entirely different league from the others. Unless you need the ground clearance of the XC, spending a couple grand more for the R is a no-brainer.

I bought a new '05 XC70 last October. So far, it has been great (13,000 miles).

I like it's look much better than the standard wagon, it averages 20+ MPG, and I'm tall so I like that it sits a little higher. It has plenty of power, and the seats are very comfortable. My only concerns since owning it and reading the forum posts on XC70.com are the service costs from the dealership, and complaints about the transmission being delicate. It seems the transmission issue is mitigated, however, by ATF changes much more frequently than Volvo recommends, so I did my first one (via the transmission cooler-line method) at 12,000 and will do the same every 12-15,000 for the life of the car.

I faced the same choice recently, comparing the Volvo and Subaru wagons. I choose the Volvo, though was willing to go with the "vanilla" V70 in a metallic ruby red color (car is for my wife and she does not like the engine to be overly powerful). I liked the Subaru Legacy wagon (I have a 2001 Forester for my daughter, and I love that car), except for the smaller size and the back seat toe room. If you are tempted to get the Subaru, sit in the back seat with a floor mat installed and try to put your toes under the front seat. The dealer was also shocked when he discovered that you need very thin toes/shoes to do so. We love the V70, having put about 10,000 miles on it so far. My only gripe is that it could use a coin holder.

quote:

Originally posted by Volvohead:
Vanilla = less exciting to drive.

Test drive an R and then a standard V70, or even a 2.5T, and you'll immediately understand the difference.

The R plays in an entirely different league from the others. Unless you need the ground clearance of the XC, spending a couple grand more for the R is a no-brainer.

I see what you mean by this, but I believe that Volvo's are built for longevity, not so much for racing, or high performance. Then again, the last Volvo I ever owned was an 81 245DL with a single manual SU carb, and no accessories whasoever!

I think I'll take you're recommendation b4 deciding on a model. As per my highschool motor mech teachers who swore by Volvo (esp the older ones, till he could afford a "newer" 94 854, the turbos are not worwhile and cause more headaches than they are worth. But his recommendations were based on the old early 80's Volvo oil cooled/lubricaed units that were not too reliable over 160kms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back