Volvo S80.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by DoubleWasp
on a passenger car, the under trays are well worth leaving on. Not only is there an aerodynamic benefit, but there is also a sound benefit as well.

I agree with this statement.

My only experience with this was on my dad's 78 Volvo 245 wagon.
One particular shop removed it to do some work to the cooling system.
When the failed to replace the belly pan, the PS rack boots split shortly thereafter.
Also while on the highway the car's steering would wander all over the place (lack of pan made the lower section act like a wind sock at high speeds (for a Volvo)).
Once the cover was replaced, everything went back to normal (for a Volvo)
+1 they reduce corrosion of components in the rust belt. They are a pain but you are driving through gritty salt water for most of the year, after all.

Originally Posted by D1dad
It's not the filter that's the pain. It's the drip pan and the 75 bolts they use to attach it. Doing it without a lift makes for a difficult job.
My '01 V70XC has about 8-10 bolts maximum; yours is probably the same. I started using a 3/8 impact ratchet a few years ago which made all the difference.

I changed it out yesterday and just used some Mobil super 5-30 I had that I wanted to get used up. 8.2 quarts. I know super is a 5k oil, but Mobil says it can be used at manufactures suggested intervals or 5k whichever is longer. She drives 70 miles a day so I figured I'll save the 0-40 for a service right before winter. This is the second Volvo she's had, the first being my s60 hand me down and tbh, it's probably the only thing outside of something government issued that could withstand her driving habits.

This is the second Volvo she's had, the first being my s60 hand me down and tbh, it's probably the only thing outside of something government issued that could withstand her driving habits.
Too funny!

Back to your original question: I've run M1 0w-40 to 9k miles in my Volvo, but have recently switched to M1 10w-30 high mileage. Since you mention that the car uses no oil, a good quality 0w-40 is probably the way to go year round.

Originally Posted by Astro_Guy
This is the second Volvo she's had, the first being my s60 hand me down and tbh, it's probably the only thing outside of something government issued that could withstand her driving habits.
Too funny!

Back to your original question: I've run M1 0w-40 to 9k miles in my Volvo, but have recently switched to M1 10w-30 high mileage. Since you mention that the car uses no oil, a good quality 0w-40 is probably the way to go year round.

In 07 they took 10-30 out of the manual as a recommended viscosity and I have no clue why. Even at extended drains this car is easy on oil....eye test only. I have several gallons of valvoline 0-40 synthetic that I'll use going forward but just wanted to use up the super 5000 I had on the shelf. My first s60 is still running around at over 300k and used no oil when I sold it...great cars, just a pain to service compared to my nissans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back