Volvo S60 T6 AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
My earlier post had us looking at a SAAB 9-5x or essentially a duplicate SAAB 9-3x to replace the one I am giving to my Parents.

We also looked at and drove the Volvo S60 T6 AWD and liked it. It is considerably more powerful and bit bigger than the SAAB. It also is a step up in interior quality. Handling is not as crisp as the 9-3x (which is surprisingly nimble), but the ride is smoother.

Bigger is not necessarily a plus, but it isn't excessive. It also has almost every nanny feature you can imagine; auto brake for pedestrians & rear end collisions, blind spot sonar, driver doze detection, etc. which I reluctantly agree are probably good things for a family hauler. One big downside is price, the Volvo stickers at $42k and there is much less play as compared to the SAAB.

Thoughts and experiences?

thanks, w

SAAB is almost dead.I would steer clear of buying any SAAB.Its almost like buying a DeSoto,or Edsel.Parts are going to be an issue.

Volvos are of course legendary for their safety, but welcome to the world of "difficult" maintenance. Not many Volvo dealers and they often require special parts/tools to do work. I understand if you're under warranty it's not a big deal, but if you plan to keep the car for a while and wrench on it yourself it might cause some aggravation.

The Saab is a GM so service is easier and parts are plentiful.

Just wondering if you'd ever consider Audi/VW?

The Volvo S60 T6 is a great car.

Follow the recommended service intervals on everything, and use what's recommended (e.g. synthetic oil that meets A3/B4) vs. what's required (e.g. A1/B1 conventional) and drive it forever...

Originally Posted By: dparm
....welcome to the world of "difficult" maintenance. Not many Volvo dealers and they often require special parts/tools to do work.....wrench on it yourself it might cause some aggravation.

Difficult maintenance? See my signature. I say bring on the difficult maintenance! :)

Seriously, thanks all for the feedback. I agree on the SAAB parts/service concerns and will probably look at VW (fond memories of my Quantum Synchro).

I have yet to hear much bad about the S60 though.

Volvos are of course legendary for their safety, but welcome to the world of "difficult" maintenance. ...Just wondering if you'd ever consider Audi/VW?

dparm, I'm gonna tread lightly since I see the car in your signature...but having owned a few cars from both VAG and Volvo, my experience is that there's no comparison in terms of maintenance headaches! We could talk about timing belt replacements for starters...

I just never found Volvos all that finicky for maintenance, aside from the PCV system (which is a one in the life of the car deal). My perspective may be a bit skewed since I live in Seattle and could almost push my Volvo to 3 different indy Volvo shops, but I just never had any issues servicing them or finding parts.

As far as the car, the S60 T6 is a pretty sweet ride. Shame they don't do the wagon version any longer.

Volvos are of course legendary for their safety, but welcome to the world of "difficult" maintenance. Not many Volvo dealers and they often require special parts/tools to do work. I understand if you're under warranty it's not a big deal, but if you plan to keep the car for a while and wrench on it yourself it might cause some aggravation.

The Saab is a GM so service is easier and parts are plentiful.

Just wondering if you'd ever consider Audi/VW?
Originally Posted By: JOD
Volvos are of course legendary for their safety, but welcome to the world of "difficult" maintenance. ...Just wondering if you'd ever consider Audi/VW?

dparm, I'm gonna tread lightly since I see the car in your signature...but having owned a few cars from both VAG and Volvo, my experience is that there's no comparison in terms of maintenance headaches! We could talk about timing belt replacements for starters...

I just never found Volvos all that finicky for maintenance, aside from the PCV system (which is a one in the life of the car deal). My perspective may be a bit skewed since I live in Seattle and could almost push my Volvo to 3 different indy Volvo shops, but I just never had any issues servicing them or finding parts.

As far as the car, the S60 T6 is a pretty sweet ride. Shame they don't do the wagon version any longer.

OP.. Ever think of an Audi A6?

Audi A6 has been one of the highest rated cars EVER, along with the BMW 5-series, of the early 2000s by what i think is Car and Driver. Just how much room do you need in the car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back