Volvo Penta 75w/90 Synthetic Gear Oil replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently using VP branded GL5 75w/90 Synthetic gear oil in the out drive of my boat. VP product is hard to find in town and expensive when I do. I have searched online replacement oils by Valvoline and Mobil and cannot decide which would be the safest bet. Not being able to locate a data sheet on the VP brand makes it difficult to compare specifications from one to the other with VP. Also many of the on the self products such as Valvoline and Mobil contain Limited Slip agents and although my out drive does not contain clutch plates, some say LS agents will damage my out drive and others disagree and say they have no bearing on the oils ability to do its job properly for me. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Technically the Mobilube SHC 75w90 should be fine and is mentioned in VP literature as an alternative.

I've been using M1 75w90 with LS additive for a number of years with no issues. I think if it's something you are concerned about, to spring for the VP fluid. If you don't mind potentially expensive experimentation, go for an off-the-shelf 75w90 with LS additive.

I have a VP SX drive from 1995.

To give you something to start researching, the concerns about LS additive in the VP drives seems to be centered around the conical clutches employed. There are a few knowledgeable people on these forums concerning fluid choices on these drives, but I think you may have better luck by posting in the Boating section rather than the VOA forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back