Volvo or lexus?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a used car and turn in my 2002 Saturn SC2. Right now I'm thinking about either a 2002-2006 lexus IS 300 or a Volvo s60 or S80. I drive 30-40K/year and mostly on the highway. I want a vehicle that won't beat me to death and will be fun to drive and more quiet and relaxing than the Saturn. What is going to be the most reliable? I like the thought of the Volvo turbo's but they scare me a bit. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

We've got one like this:

volvo_s60_wasa_30.jpg

At work. It has been a pretty good company car for the guy that drives it. No problems with it as far as I am aware. And it drives very well! And is nice and quiet inside.

Originally Posted By: snydely
Hi,

Right now I'm thinking about either a 2002-2006 lexus IS 300 or a Volvo s60 or S80.

The IS is pretty small/tight/cozy inside. Not sure how big you are, but the S60 is larger, and the S80 even more so.

The IS will probably be more fun to drive though.

Ive always liked the Lexus IS, but it isnt a car Id see myself driving 40k miles a year in. It is a really nice car, but it is pretty tight inside.

A most basic model S60 would be what Id be after. Preferably MT, which Ill bet is very rare. If I was buying a lexus that isnt the LS or IS, Id just buy a camry or avalon.

I quite like the Avalon, although I know you said Lexus or Volvo. Id choose Lexus anyday over Volvo. Just not a fan of Volvo`s.

Originally Posted By: snydely

I drive 30-40K/year and mostly on the highway.

Run some spreadsheet comparisons.

I'd look into a Prius, or VW tdi, etc...

Or for 40mpg + fun to drive - mazda3 skyactiv.

You're looking at a HUGE annual gas bill.

But, that's just what I'd do/recommend.

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Audi..... ?

I love Audis, but when someone asks for "most reliable," and doing 40K miles/year, I'm not so sure.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Audi..... ?

I love Audis, but when someone asks for "most reliable," and doing 40K miles/year, I'm not so sure.
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
You can't beat Japanese engineering...

Unless of course you are German. Then you can't beat the Japanese copying your engineering
whistle.gif

I kinda' like the way the IS300 looks.

It has a pretty good looking gauge cluster. You almost expect it to have a Tag Heuer logo on the speedometer instead of the Lexus logo. Whole interior is pretty nice.

It promises a lot in performance, inline 6, RWD...etc... but it really never delivers. A 330i feels better across the board. Acceleration, handling, braking, ride...etc... A fwd Altima 3.5SE pulls much harder in any gear. If you don't mind a slushbox, the V6 IS350 performs much more like the IS300 promises.

You drive a boatload of miles/year so I would personally prefer the Volvo S80 over the Lexus IS300.

My preference for the Volvo would be safety. Nobody builds a safer safety cage/frame than a Volvo.

Comfort would also be a premium for me and the Volvo S80 will ride smoother/plusher than the firmer/sportier-tuned Lexus IS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back