Volvline Whtle Bottle (VWB) 5w30 vs. Rotella 10w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I came across VWB 5w30 on local wally for $9.88 CAD. I am wondering if it will be very good oil for my 1988 Brougham. The following characteristics apply to my situation:

- Using the car regularly once a week for short trip (~30 to 40 min)
- Planning to have short OCI since I only put 2-3k miles a year
- Driving the car in Winter and Summer.
- As far as I know, 307 c.u. olds needs more ZDDP additive oil.

What is your recommendation in terms of oil type and grade (VWB or Rotella dino?
Should I consider to use STP or other brands for Zink additive?

That year really won't matter much. You don't have high spring rates on there. Are you able to readily source Rotella 10w-40? As for additives, I'd say to essentially forget them.

By the time you factor in the cost of additives or high end boutique oils, after a few OCIs, you've paid for a cam and lifter replacement, and that's assuming that that is the eventual result, which certainly isn't the case.

Originally Posted By: Garak
That year really won't matter much.

Why?

Are you able to readily source Rotella 10w-40?

I only found T6 0w40 5L ($47.97), T6 5w40 5L ($46.97), T4 15w40 5L ($31.97), and T triple protection 15w40 9.5L ($44.97) ==> all of them you got rebate $5

How about VWB 5w30? you can't beat $9.88 for a 4L

Originally Posted By: momo
That year really won't matter much.

Why?

As I mentioned above, and was in the other thread, you don't have the spring pressures to worry about, and besides, isn't that a roller cam? The VWB is pretty much unbeatable. If you are set on a variety of Rotella, and there's nothing wrong with that, check Shell directly. Walmart Canada and Canadian Tire will rip you off, even on sale. Any jug of Rotella synthetic over $30 is overpriced.

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Out of curiosity, your store still has VWB 4L from Black Friday?

Sorry if I derailed this thread.

I've seen those same VWB jugs in my local WM well after the black Friday sale. I'm about 60km east of Toronto. WM must have bought tons of it, at one time they had over 100 boxes of the 4 packs of jugs in one of the aisles.

I already have plenty of PPPP in my stash otherwise I would have picked up some of this stuff.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
In your situation I'd use the Valvoline. No reason not to.

+1!! AND in Canada that's an amazing price from what I hear.

Plenty of reasons TO use VWB; it's a solid oil which has always given great UOAs on here and should do a great job for you at your planned OCI. Change once per year and drive that classic!

Use the Valvoline and change every 5000 miles, even if it takes you two years - just keep it topped off. Good price there - stock up.

Thank you guys very much for the feedback, I really learn a lot from you all.

Is there any reason why Molybdenum is very low in VWB compared to PYB?

Originally Posted By: Farmer
Out of curiosity, your store still has VWB 4L from Black Friday?

Sorry if I derailed this thread.

I am not too sure. I think they have plenty here since we have 5 stores in the area

It is a different additive package.

Originally Posted By: CT8
It is a different additive package.

I know it is different package, but wondering why moly is very low in VWB? Doesn't suppose to help as wear additive?

An additive pack is more than just one of it's constituent compounds/molecules. It is the full mix of components that ultimately determines its effectiveness.

What Moly does in one add pack, something else will do in a different add pack, and may work just as well.

Don't focus on just the one compound. Focus on the results. VWB is good stuff, and for your Caddy, will work great.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
An additive pack is more than just one of it's constituent compounds/molecules. It is the full mix of components that ultimately determines its effectiveness.

What Moly does in one add pack, something else will do in a different add pack, and may work just as well.

Don't focus on just the one compound. Focus on the results. VWB is good stuff, and for your Caddy, will work great.

make sense to me, very good explanation

I know it is different package, but wondering why moly is very low in VWB? Doesn't suppose to help as wear additive?

At the levels use in most PCMOs, it's a friction modifier. And, there are other ways to get friction modification besides moly, so that's what I'd suspect Valvoline is doing, simply something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back