Voltage while running

I have a JD LT155. How many bolts should I read across the battery terminals while running? Trying to make sure my mower is charging the battery.

It could be the stator which creates AC current that should be about 30 volts on most mowers. There should be a plug that you can disconnect to test it with your multi-meter. If it does put out 30v AC, then you know the problem is with rectifier/regulator somewhere.

Are you having problems with the starter cranking the engine or constantly having to externally charge the battery? If your battery is measuring around 12.5v after an overnight shutdown, you may not have a charging issue. A battery which is marginal or has a dead cell can lug down the charging system. Test the battery first before tearing into the charging system. Charging system failure is rare. I only seen one with the many riding tractors I had or come across.

Yes if the battery is faulty or severely run down, it will hold the voltage down. Use a battery charger to charge the battery fully first. Confirm that the battery voltage at rest (no charger attached) stays up over 12.6. Then start engine and confirm the voltage goes over 13.6.

It could be the stator which creates AC current that should be about 30 volts on most mowers. There should be a plug that you can disconnect to test it with your multi-meter. If it does put out 30v AC, then you know the problem is with rectifier/regulator somewhere.
Would that plug be under the blower shroud?

If you found the regulator block with 3 pins, the center wire (usually red) leads to the battery, the two wires on the outside (usually white) lead to the stator. Unplugged from the regulator the stator should measure about 1 ohm between the stator wires, open circuit from either wire to ground, and with the engine running about 30 volts AC as mentioned.

If you found the regulator block with 3 pins, the center wire (usually red) leads to the battery, the two wires on the outside (usually white) lead to the stator. Unplugged from the regulator the stator should measure about 1 ohm between the stator wires, open circuit from either wire to ground, and with the engine running about 30 volts AC as mentioned.
With it unplugged running?

I don't know what color the wires from the stator will be on your mower... can you trace them back up to where they would come out by the bottom of the flywheel?

I don't know what color the wires from the stator will be on your mower... can you trace them back up to where they would come out by the bottom of the flywheel?
They’re white, and the wires on the left get super hot. I also have continuity between each of the white wires to the red battery wire off the voltage regulator

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 35
Back