Volkswagen's excellent 6-year/72,000-mile warranty is ending

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 6-year warranty was introduced to entice people to buy VWs in the aftermath of dieselgate. I figured it'd be temporary, but I honestly didn't expect it would end so soon.

With VW's stunning failure rate, educated customers now go elsewhere.

The warranty was a big reason the risk was worth it.

Originally Posted by Cujet

Sure thing.
lol.gif

My soon to be gone GTI hasn't been trouble free but I don't regret buying it. Some of the things on my GTI have done much better than Japanese cars I've owned such as the struts and brake pad life.
But my GTI had a few things go wrong you never hear about like the intake manifold.

VW needs to make a 10-year/100k warranty and make it fully transferable. Then maybe they'd win back some customers
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
My soon to be gone GTI hasn't been trouble free but I don't regret buying it. Some of the things on my GTI have done much better than Japanese cars I've owned such as the struts and brake pad life.
But my GTI had a few things go wrong you never hear about like the intake manifold.

You bring up a good point. People
Love their VW's and some continue to put up with. Reliability issues and expense for the driving pleasure. I loved driving my TDI. But the list of expenses grew so large, I practically gave it away.

I'd dial back warranty if I were VW too, shoot, you risk bankruptcy with extending the warranty
crackmeup2.gif

But in all honesty, if the cars were holding up so great, they'd be keeping the warranty. In the end it's all about saving/making money.

I guess the three VWs between my brother and us didn't get the memo...

What is failure rate?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
VW needs to make a 10-year/100k warranty and make it fully transferable. Then maybe they'd win back some customers
smirk2.gif

They actually have been having gains due to the offerings mass buyer want like decent competitive CUVs (Atlas/Tiguan) which now make over 50% of sales volume.

New 2019 Jetta GLI turbo 4cyl is as quick and fast as a as new tested Shelby GT500..No Kidding!
And those numbers are from "tire spinning" Motorweek tests - not lying Motortrend. No Kidding.
You want more warranty buy a plan I guess,

Me I'm leasing and dumping at 2 years now. Too old to worry - and too old to get bored with a car
smile.gif

Warranty terms have been a marketing tool more than anything. Extended warranty terms are only used when there is a perception real or not to quality or overall slow sales growth to bring the fence sitters into the brand's dealerships whom might not have came at all.

When a brand is doing better in the financials, warranty terms are usually the first thing to roll back.

That's funny, as of January 1, 2019, VW extended their warranty to 5 years/unlimited kilometres in Australia... That's pretty much the standard coverage for most brands sold here.

VW is going to 4yr/50k bumper-to-bumper for 2020 models, which is still better than the industry average 3yr/36k miles - and they're adding two years of free maintenance.

I suspect they've found a sweet spot. Splitting it this way still allows for customer assurance and should increase dealership customer retention.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
VW is going to 4yr/50k bumper-to-bumper for 2020 models, which is still better than the industry average 3yr/36k miles - and they're adding two years of free maintenance.

I suspect they've found a sweet spot. Splitting it this way still allows for customer assurance and should increase dealership customer retention.

The 4yr/50k brings it in line with Audi as well. Never thought about how odd it would be for VW's luxury brand Audi to have a worse warranty than their economy brand VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back