Volkswagen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are these the most unreliable cars made in the world? I can't tell you how many people I know that have had so many problems with Audi/VW cars. It's unbelievable.

Yes, they do have more than their fair share of problems. It's always been a love-hate relationship between me & "Little Red". Mostly love, though.
wink.gif

From what I can gather, the VW engines in their stock format, are some of the most bullet-proof in the world if they are properly maintained.

The electrical system gremlins & some flimsy interior components seem to be the things that plagues VW owners.

I owned (don't laugh) a 1985 Audi 5000 turbo. It was great for the first 75K miles, then it seemed I had a $1000 repair every 10K miles. The only thing that was bulletproof was the engine and turbo. The body, except for the sunroof, was pretty reliable too.

I had hoped the newer ones were better, but I guess not.

Going from 30k to 115k, my 1999 A4 costs are about $.04c a mile. No break-downs EVER and the car is full maintained...everything works. Other cars have problems too, not just Audi/VW. Survey shows Audi owners internet usage is the highest of any car owners, maybe that puts their problems to the forefront. imo, the bottom line is that if you want high-tech and high performance, you have to pay the price with maintenance and glitches. I drive every different car that I have an opportunity to, nothing else really does it for me. It's funny how such a specialized car like Porsche gets rated so highly. Maybe the Porsche owners know what that are getting into and know what they are doing with care and maintenance. On the other hand, there are a lot of NOOB Audi owners who have their heads up their ***, doing things like dino oil changes and driving the car after the OP light is on. As far as I care, those folks can drop dead like the yuppie scum that they are, I just don't care about their whining and problems. Go cry to the BMW and Mercedes techs, they have the same problems, even worse. I would not touch a MB from 1998-2003. My only complaint is the control arms, I can replace them myself though.

I happen to like German cars. Never owned one, but like the refinement they have always had in terms of engine and interio quaility. The reliablity though has always kept me away from them. A lot of electrical problems.

my did owns an "unreliable" VW beetle and a "reliable" Honda Odessey. His Honda has been into the shop for more out of the ordinary work then his VW.
OTOH his VW's interior is much more worn looking then any other car I've seen for it's age.

Where's Tooslick when we need him
wink.gif

quote:

The electrical system gremlins & some flimsy interior components seem to be the things that plagues VW owners.

Goes back to the K.I.S.S (Keep It Simple, Stupid) principle. The more fancy stuff you have, the more (expensive) things that can go wrong. Probably the best decision my parents made when they bought the Saturn was to pass on the Pwr Locks/Windows and fancy stereo system. The car only has a radio...no Cass/CD player.

quote:

a "reliable" Honda Odessey. His Honda has been into the shop for more out of the ordinary work then his VW.

No kidding. Does a "reliable" 2nd Gen (?) Odyssey even exist? Jeez, just the transmission problems alone are enough. Unless of course, he was one of the lucky few who had the transmission replaced with the updated unit the first time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back