Volkswagen to Overtake Tesla’s Battery Electric Vehicle Sales Crown by 2024, Finds Bloomberg Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have a reputation for poor reliability and expensive service.

The two I've owned weren't great.

I enjoyed the driving experience, but not the ownership experience.
Hmm I owned multiple, more reliable than Toyota I owned.
The thing is, each company has models that are really good or could be really bad. But I yet to sit in Tesla that has basic things properly sorted out.
And that is just beginning. Musk is behaving worse than my 3yo and with his temper tantrums, launching half finished products like Plaid etc. this was inevitable.

Hmm I owned multiple, more reliable than Toyota I owned.

Many have great luck with them.

Im quite a fan of German products in general and have two houses filled with Miele appliances.

The thing is, each company has models that are really good or could be really bad. But I yet to sit in Tesla that has basic things properly sorted out.
And that is just beginning. Musk is behaving worse than my 3yo and with his temper tantrums, launching half finished products like Plaid etc. this was inevitable.

On getting basic things sorted out - these didn't stop just 2 tesla models from outselling BMW's entire lineup in the US last year.
Im not thrilled with their interiors myself, but their electronic connection with their chargers and mapping is great. Not having car play blows.

On Musk, Ive never been thrilled with his behavior.
It looked like Ellison got him a bit under control then he left the reservation again.
What I dont like about him is how he allows his personality to threaten investment in his company.

On other Auto management - As bad a Musk is, he didn't throw his company into scandal on the level Oliver Schmidt did.

My first one the "blue moon" had wand and controller board issues at 8 years- but performed exceptionally well.

My second one has been just great.
Interestingly, there appear to be multiple tiers of Miele vacuums. The one we bought is made in Germany, but the one my dad bought for the cottage is made in China. Odd.

We've been happy with ours.

Interestingly, there appear to be multiple tiers of Miele vacuums. The one we bought is made in Germany, but the one my dad bought for the cottage is made in China. Odd.

We've been happy with ours.

There are absolutely tiers and plants in various places.

I love my miele products- especially the laundry products.

On getting basic things sorted out - these didn't stop just 2 tesla models from outselling BMW's entire lineup in the US last year.
Im not thrilled with their interiors myself, but their electronic connection with their chargers and mapping is great. Not having car play blows.

On Musk, Ive never been thrilled with his behavior.
It looked like Ellison got him a bit under control then he left the reservation again.
What I dont like about him is how he allows his personality to threaten investment in his company.

On other Auto management - As bad a Musk is, he didn't throw his company into scandal on the level Oliver Schmidt did.
Tesla is a trend. Trends don’t last unless your product moves to quality realm.

Difference between Schmidt and Musk is that Schmidt tried to hide what they did. They didn’t want scandal. Musk wants scandal. He invents one because he cannot help himself. If VW or GM had issues with those so called “auto pilots “ like Tesla does, they would be all over news by now.
But, you can’t sell trend forever. Eventually things catch up with you.
Biggest liability for Tesla is Musk. If he doesn’t change (and he won’t) or he doesn’t leave, eventually Moskvitch will be more viable company.

ID4 PRo will probably end up in our garage.
A good vehicle, unlike Tesla, has all screws properly torqued or not missing any. It would replace our Tiguan, so we would gain in space for sure, built quality is same, and our Tiguan looks pretty much new after 11 years.

Hopefully they have advanced beyond screws?

Tesla is a trend. Trends don’t last unless your product moves to quality realm.

Difference between Schmidt and Musk is that Schmidt tried to hide what they did. They didn’t want scandal. Musk wants scandal. He invents one because he cannot help himself. If VW or GM had issues with those so called “auto pilots “ like Tesla does, they would be all over news by now.
But, you can’t sell trend forever. Eventually things catch up with you.
Biggest liability for Tesla is Musk. If he doesn’t change (and he won’t) or he doesn’t leave, eventually Moskvitch will be more viable company.

The quality hasn't stopped them from having the highest satisfaction. At every step tesla has been doubted and so far persevered.
People said it was a trend a decade ago.

Not a fan of either guy.

VW nor GM dont have anything comparable to compare so with all its faults the tesla software is still the most advanced.
at least GM has something to offer in supercuirse although it only "works" on something like 5% of all roads.
I wouldnt buy teslas autopilot, or super cruise, ford blue cruise, and I dont know of any european offering at this point.

Interesting point of view. All the investment houses say Tesla's biggest risk, by far, is the loss of their leader.

The quality hasn't stopped them from having the highest satisfaction. At every step tesla has been doubted and so far persevered.
People said it was a trend a decade ago.

Not a fan of either guy.

VW nor GM dont have anything comparable to compare so with all its faults the tesla software is still the most advanced.
at least GM has something to offer in supercuirse although it only "works" on something like 5% of all roads.
I wouldnt buy teslas autopilot, or super cruise, ford blue cruise, and I dont know of any european offering at this point.
Satisfaction? When people buy trend they are satisfied even if they parked a car in garage and never drove it, just so their neighbor can see it.

They don’t have auto pilot? Why would they? Maybe they want to sell product that won’t slam into fire truck in front just because.

Interesting point of view. All the investment houses say Tesla's biggest risk, by far, is the loss of their leader.
The same investment companies that said he can buy Twitter in a heartbeat? The way that deal is going, as usual, he will ask government to help him.
That guy goes from one attention seeking adventure (remember that “I can solve world hunger?”) to another. Things will catch up with him and shareholders eventually.

Satisfaction? When people buy trend they are satisfied even if they parked a car in garage and never drove it, just so their neighbor can see it.

They don’t have auto pilot? Why would they? Maybe they want to sell product that won’t slam into fire truck in front just because.

Yes satisfaction. The owners get to define that regardless of how you or I might define it.

It used to be the 3 series was the trendy car in the 80's and 90's but that popularity has been stolen by tesla.

A myriad of other manufacturers offer an optional package of "advanced driving aids" that people will misuse and abuse.
This doesnt bother me as it seems pointless to complain about something thats optional anyway.

For all its faults it has a lower accident and death rate per mile driven than humans do.
Of all that offer such aids Telsa is the only one that posts quarterly safety stats and has real time reporting to the NHSTA, but everyone will soon be on board with that.

Last edited:
ID4 PRo will probably end up in our garage.
A good vehicle, unlike Tesla, has all screws properly torqued or not missing any. It would replace our Tiguan, so we would gain in space for sure, built quality is same, and our Tiguan looks pretty much new after 11 years.

I'm looking forward to ours. Ordered an AWD Pro S. Traded my F150 for a GTI Autobahn which drastically lowered my fuel costs not to mention vehicle payment and the ID.4 will make a great family car. Currently we still have a Ford Edge that the ID.4 will replace.

Yes satisfaction. The owners get to define that regardless of how you or I might define it.

It used to be the 3 series was the trendy car in the 80's and 90's but that popularity has been stolen by tesla.

A myriad of other manufacturers offer an optional package of "advanced driving aids" that people will misuse and abuse.
This doesnt bother me as it seems pointless to complain about something thats optional anyway.

For all its faults it has a lower accident and death rate per mile driven than humans do.
Of all that offer such aids Telsa is the only one that posts quarterly safety stats and has real time reporting to the NHSTA, but everyone will soon be on board with that.
We were already discussing how Tesla advertises this. I said this few years back that companies that are in the business for a long time will outpace Tesla. You cant stay leader if you release half finished products just because you are seeking attention. Things catch up fast. Dog didn’t catch up car, but it will soon. IMO, as long as Musk is at the top, others are going to be closing fast and overtaking it.

As for 3 series, cars like that gained reputation bcs. racing etc. What Tesla has to brag about? They are in the business 10yrs. Let’s give them 50-60yrs to see what happens.

We were already discussing how Tesla advertises this. I said this few years back that companies that are in the business for a long time will outpace Tesla. You cant stay leader if you release half finished products just because you are seeking attention. Things catch up fast. Dog didn’t catch up car, but it will soon. IMO, as long as Musk is at the top, others are going to be closing fast and overtaking it.

As for 3 series, cars like that gained reputation bcs. racing etc. What Tesla has to brag about? They are in the business 10yrs. Let’s give them 50-60yrs to see what happens.

Yeah people are all in in arms about the name of an optional aid package I get that. Telsa are pretty clear online about what it does and how you should operate and it gets abused and makes mistakes.

That said in a war of what will be a long road to actual automation experience and data gathering will be key and teslas ahead of everyone.

I liked my 325, tracked it at willow and laguna. It was a well balanced fun car to drive.
I really liked the early m3's. They were pretty peppy. They won lots of races. Not really " fast" cars when you are used to 10 second vehicles.
Nothing the secretaries or suitcase crowd did with theirs added to its lore but it was certainly popular with them

Telsa selling more vehicles in the US us than all BMW vehicles in only 10 years is a something many claimed could never happen because of elon musk. They have a myriad of 1sts - dedicated network, first viable cross country electric, quickest sedan under 100K, basically tesla was the first viable electric.

Christian Von Keonigsegg said the best overall daily car is the Telsa model 3 .
He's a pretty discerning guy with more perspective on whats what than just about anyone.

Tesla announced Q2 deliveries this morning.
“In the second quarter, we produced over 258,000 vehicles and delivered over 254,000 vehicles, despite ongoing supply chain challenges and factory shutdowns beyond our control,” the automaker said in a press release. “June 2022 was the highest vehicle production month in Tesla’s history.”

Deliveries were down 18% from Q1 (310K), ending a 2 year run of consecutive quarterly growth. Of course, Giga Shanghai was down for much of the qtr.
Q1 YOY was up about 25%. Analysts expected 300K but cut expectations to about 250K after Shanghai (their biggest factory) shuttered.

Tesla will now have to ramp if they expect to meet their 150% YOY growth in 2022. The chip and supply chain issues will continue for all car manufacturers. I expect their lofty margins to take a hit, but will likely remain in the mid 30% going forward, baring more production shutdowns.

Tesla announced Q2 deliveries this morning. “June 2022 was the highest vehicle production month in Tesla’s history.” And this is with the shutdowns in Shanghai.

And VW will ramp up EV production enough by 2024 to overtake Tesla ? And Tesla will be standing still for the next two years ? I don't think so Tim.

Regarding Tesla's Auto Pilot or Full Self Driving or whatever they are calling the system that is being beta tested now by thousands of owners, a very interesting testimonial was just posted on Dave Lee's Investing YouTube channel. The guest is the owner of a Plaid version and just returned from a trip up the California coast and into Oregon. The highway had a 55 MPH speed limit and was full of low speed, hairpin turns that were both on-camber and off-camber. The owner said the system worked flawlessly except for a few locations where the system was confused by rural residential driveways that the system thought were cross streets so he overrode it temporarily.

Well worth a watch for all of you doubters. No, it isn't really an auto pilot or 100% reliable "self driving" system yet. And may never be. I would like to see it tried on the Palms to Pines Highway that runs between Palm Desert and Mountain Center. The downhill section goes from 5000 ft to 200 ft elevation over about a 45 mile stretch of two lane State Highway with no guardrails. If the driver can leave the system on the whole time without wetting his pants, then Tesla will really have something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back