Volkswagen to Overtake Tesla’s Battery Electric Vehicle Sales Crown by 2024, Finds Bloomberg Intelligence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tesla was close to if not the only game in town we will see what the future brings.

I could see GM overtaking Tesla in the USA by the end of 2025. Lots of $35k-$50k options coming, supplied by four USA battery plants opening by the end of 2025. The first opens this August.
Those batteries, that lithium. The price will not be 35k. It's headed the other way.... 42-57k 'options'. As of now. The future? Hmmm.

Competition is good for the EV market. But 2024 is just over the horizon and I seriously doubt that VW could upend the EV sales figures that quickly. Maybe if there is a new EV class called "economy" or something that cars that have an MSRP under $30k will compete in.

GM ever being a really major player in the EV market ? I doubt it. I suspect they will offer a mediocre vehicle at an attractive price and will capture some sales due to brand loyalty, as they do in the ICE categories now.

But Bloomberg Intelligence must not be taking into account that Tesla has been at least 5 years ahead of everyone else for years and I doubt they will suddenly grow stagnant and allow other makers to catch up or even exceed their performance and reliability. I think the only niche in Tesla's armor is Elon's refusal to enter the race to the bottom regarding selling price. That is a foot in the door for other makers who are willing to sell a lot of EV's at very low margins while they are (hopefully) building market share.

As a customer I could care less who makes the most, only who makes the best ones at each price point.

As a shareholder I could care less about who makes the most cars, but who makes the most profit on the cars.

Yeah, if quality is what customers end up going after, Tesla is biggest loser.

They will have a hard time getting over this reputation.

Just like BMW will never shake its reputation for poor reliability.

meh not with duds like that id.4 pro for 46000
if it was 35k maybe.

I think VW was trying to go at least slightly premium with this offering. I thought the interior was nice in the version I drove. My wife and I have an AWD on order now. We did look at the Mach-E and it was nice, but they've frozen orders on Mach-Es at this time and I think my wife preferred the ID.4. Of course the ID.4 won't set any drag race records against other electric offerings and I know some reviewers have called it boring, but I don't see it as a car that screams "look at me, I'm electric!" which I don't think she wanted.

Tesla has just spent a ton of money to build factories to build a car that was designed 5 years ago.

I think VW was trying to go at least slightly premium with this offering. I thought the interior was nice in the version I drove. My wife and I have an AWD on order now. We did look at the Mach-E and it was nice, but they've frozen orders on Mach-Es at this time and I think my wife preferred the ID.4. Of course the ID.4 won't set any drag race records against other electric offerings and I know some reviewers have called it boring, but I don't see it as a car that screams "look at me, I'm electric!" which I don't think she wanted.
ID4 PRo will probably end up in our garage.
A good vehicle, unlike Tesla, has all screws properly torqued or not missing any. It would replace our Tiguan, so we would gain in space for sure, built quality is same, and our Tiguan looks pretty much new after 11 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back