Volkswagen makes sausage?

My wife and I were in Munich about ten years ago and our guide for the day told us "oh you must have the Weiss-Wurst, it is great."

So, we stopped for lunch and he went to a different place and we said we'd reconvene in 45 minutes.

So we go into the place and order the weiss-wurst. Guy kind of gives us a weird look, shrugs his shoulders, and gets a couple servings from a pot behind him.

We go outside, one of those courtyards with a lot of stand up tables. Wife and I choose one and start eating. Another guy comes up and stands at the same table (normal thing for quick lunch I guess) and is eating his lunch too.

So, after about thirty seconds he kind of looks at us and says in a thick German accent "you know, I can tell you are not from around here"

We look sheepishly at him, say... "Why, what's wrong?"

He says, quite forcefully, "well, you are eating weiss-wurst which you only ever eat before noon. Plus, you are eating the skin! Eating the skin is forbidden!!"

LOL we all laughed and stopped eating the skin.

Then his buddy came over after getting his food, the guy who had spoken to us said something to him in German and then the second guy started laughing pretty hard :LOL:

Oh well, the joys of travel. At least now I have a story to tell.

The sausage was good, too.

EXACTLY. :LOL: Dont eat the Skin. Never. And it´s finger food. Dont use fork and knife. You can spot tourists this way.

Next time, there are two ways to eat them: The orignal way: Suck them out of the skin. Or the more elegant way, take a knife, cut the whole skin lenght wise, peel the skin away, and dip the sausage into mustard. Bite and Enjoy.

With dedicated weiss wurst mustard (There is a special one!) and prezels they are really tasty.

Give me a call next time. Weiss wurst 101 - wich Oi.. err.. Mustard? :)

The sausage factory probably makes just enough money for the higher ups in the company to churn in an income in the event of an economic turndown. People still gotta eat.

Back