Volkswagen makes sausage?

While German cars might be better than Italian cars, I'll stick with Italian sausage. German sausage is not my thing.
Vut ?

9DD432E1-1656-4057-9893-8BFBF74D8075.jpeg

Volkswurst! ja.

Honestly, the only "bad" wurst (highly subjective, I know) is Weisswurst (white sausage).
It's snowy white (calf) with flecks of parsley and is served in warm water. A real miss if you ask me.
I was on a business trip in Munich and we had dinner in the courtyard under the glockenspiel. My colleagues had the sausage sampler platter. There were several types of white sausage in the sampler. None of them looked appetizing to me.

I was on a business trip in Munich and we had dinner in the courtyard under the glockenspiel. My colleagues had the sausage sampler platter. There were several types of white sausage in the sampler. None of them looked appetizing to me.

My wife and I were in Munich about ten years ago and our guide for the day told us "oh you must have the Weiss-Wurst, it is great."

So, we stopped for lunch and he went to a different place and we said we'd reconvene in 45 minutes.

So we go into the place and order the weiss-wurst. Guy kind of gives us a weird look, shrugs his shoulders, and gets a couple servings from a pot behind him.

We go outside, one of those courtyards with a lot of stand up tables. Wife and I choose one and start eating. Another guy comes up and stands at the same table (normal thing for quick lunch I guess) and is eating his lunch too.

So, after about thirty seconds he kind of looks at us and says in a thick German accent "you know, I can tell you are not from around here"

We look sheepishly at him, say... "Why, what's wrong?"

He says, quite forcefully, "well, you are eating weiss-wurst which you only ever eat before noon. Plus, you are eating the skin! Eating the skin is forbidden!!"

LOL we all laughed and stopped eating the skin.

Then his buddy came over after getting his food, the guy who had spoken to us said something to him in German and then the second guy started laughing pretty hard :LOL:

Oh well, the joys of travel. At least now I have a story to tell.

The sausage was good, too.

from what I recall reading about these a couple years ago, they aren't available in the US. people have tried to use the part number to order them, and it just come up not available or some such...

from the linked Wikipedia above:
"Around 40% of Volkswagen currywurst production is consumed within restaurants at its six German factories; the remainder is sold at external shops, supermarkets and football stadiums. A portion is also sent to Volkswagen dealerships across Europe which use the currywurst as a present for customers who purchase new cars. Proceeds from external sales are used by Volkswagen to subsidise the price of food in its staff restaurants. The product is sold in 11 countries but is not available in the United States due to its rules on the import of uncooked meat. In the past Volkswagen has sent a team of chefs to the United States to replicate the product with locally sourced ingredients. The company is also looking to export the product to Singapore"

Volkswurst! ja.

Honestly, the only "bad" wurst (highly subjective, I know) is Weisswurst (white sausage).
It's snowy white (calf) with flecks of parsley and is served in warm water. A real miss if you ask me.

There's other ways to make weisswurst. I love it, but not in water

I’m from an area settled by Czech and Germans … but most of the remaining sausage recipes claim to be Czech

I’m from an area settled by Czech and Germans … but most of the remaining sausage recipes claim to be Czech
Fredricksburg? I've been there once..drove down while visiting my brother when he lived up in DFW area. we went through Dublin on the way, stopped at "old Doc's Soda Shop" at the tail end of their legal battle with Dr.Pepper.

Last edited:
Fredricksburg? I've been there once..drove down while visiting my brother when he lived up in DFW area. we went through Dublin on the way, stopped at "old Doc's Soda Shop" at the tail end of their legal battle with Dr.Pepper.
Have been there, nice! … but I’m central coastal plains … about 30 miles from saltwater …

Back