Volkswagen Amarok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw many interesting vehicles in Germany in June, including the Amarok. And of course there's its ancestor, the Rabbit-based pick-up. Saw this one in, IIRC Medicine Hat, back in 2012. Given that it was sold used by a Datsun dealer, I figure it's from no later than the early '80s.

IMG_6095.JPG

IMG_6096.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

Last edited:
We've had them (Amarok) here for years...you're not missing much. I'm surprised Mercedes doesn't have a go at selling the X-Class in the US/Canada though.

As I point out to the various VW owners I know (who are always looking for advice I might add), VW have more product development testers on the road than any other car company in Oz.

And they PAY for the privilige of both testing and fixing the product.

Our fleet manager put a couple of (admittedly the first model) Amaroks into service when they were released here... after their 3 years were up, no more were ever ordered. HiLuxes, Rangers and Colorados are not only nicer to drive, but far less expensive to keep on the road.

Friend of mine bought one, and found it didn't have the grunt to tow his caravan - the same caravan his old Nissan Navara had dragged around no worries. After spending several thousand dollars on an exhaust, ECU tune, etc., he gave up, and lost several thousand more dollars trading the VW in on a secondhand 200 Series LandCruiser...

Originally Posted by hpb
We've had them (Amarok) here for years...you're not missing much. I'm surprised Mercedes doesn't have a go at selling the X-Class in the US/Canada though.

The U.S. truck segment of the U.S. new vehicle market is very competitive plus I think Mercedes worries that U.S. consumers will eventually make the connection that the X-Class is a collaboration between Mercedes, Nissan, and Renault when the new Frontier debuts in the States and this may hurt Mercedes image of a strictly luxury brand. Bit of a run-on sentence there!

While I'm not laughing AT them, I laugh at the guys with the DCT and thinking it's an auto for dragging boats out of the water and backing (reversing) trailers...

The name is probably global.; Sounds better in other tongues. Having more choices is a good thing, even if you don't like this truck if ever offered here. Even if it was, I still plan on buying a new Ford Ranger extended cab 4X4 with a 6' bed.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The name is probably global.; Sounds better in other tongues. Having more choices is a good thing, even if you don't like this truck if ever offered here. Even if it was, I still plan on buying a new Ford Ranger extended cab 4X4 with a 6' bed.

Glad to see Ford putting a 6' bed on the new Ranger. You'll have a similar cargo foot print as the so called "full size" trucks that have only a 6' bed.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Typical goofy name by VW. Why do they name their stuff weird names?

If memory serves, the names for cars come from different winds, Passat , Jetta etc. Although the Toureg is the name of a tribe. Some exceptions of course are T-Roc et al.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Typical goofy name by VW. Why do they name their stuff weird names?

At least they have names and not the stupid XYZ123 that so many use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back