**VOA** Yamalube 10w40 JASO MA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yamalube_D44049.jpg

This is the "Non-synthetic" stuff in the "Bold New Black Bottle!"

'bout the only thing "Bold" here is what they charge for a pretty ho-hum (or worse) oil.

Hmmm...Might as well get a bottle of your favorite brand conventional SM rated auto oil at the local walmart and realize you may be getting a better oil...

Yet another confirmation that the OEM m/c brand oils are mundane, to say the least. OTOH, the "premium" stuff is WAY overpriced for what you get as well. Just another reason to run some good HDEO and call it a day.

But to put things in perspective, I have a good friend who has a 1995 ST100 with over 125k miles on it now, and has had dealer serviced Honda conventional oil and filters since new. Apparently, even though that stuff is "mundane", the engine just doesn't seem to care.

The oil will work... but the price is certainly confiscatory for what you're getting. The ZDDP is about as low as you see in house brand car oils...

Oils like this Yamalube, the Honda oils, the Harley Davidson oils... and even the motorcycle specific oils from Valvoline and others continue to thrive because of the proliferation of gumby-heads out there...

Gumby_narrowweb__300x483,0.jpg

...and these gumby-heads like pictures of motorcycles on the bottles of the oil they buy and use.

And I'm thinkin' there's no cure for this...
frown.gif

Dan

Hummmmmmmm......... After seeing the facts, I gave up the pretty bottles of Yamalube and now run rotella 15W 40 in my vstar 1100. The bike runs great and my wallet feels better!

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Yet another confirmation that the OEM m/c brand oils are mundane, to say the least. OTOH, the "premium" stuff is WAY overpriced for what you get as well.

It's entirely possible that clever marketing has been done to us. Yamalube is a Torco product - there's no indication I can find that it's linked to Yamaha (OEM) other than the first four letters of the name Torco chose for it.

Jaj, I'd heard Yamalube 2stroke was Torco. Have you heard the new 4 stroke oils are also Torco? I've used their (yamalube) 15w50 full syn, and other than the cost, around 10.00/qt it worked well in the area of Noise/vibration/harshness as well as checking out o.k. to the butt-dyno. I might still be running it but I'm doing a flashpoint (looking for fuel dillution) test, so I'm running rotella, intending to send in for a analysis soon. I figured I'd use rotella, being that it's pretty popular and I figger' Blackstone has a good baseline on it to give me a semi-accurate fuel dillution %.

Has a VOA ever been done on Mobil 1's MC specific synth oil? I'd be interested in seeing how that stacks up given the rave reviews I've heard about it on various MC forums

I'm running Valvoline MC oil in my VTX right now and so far I think the OEM fill was a bit smoother running and shift wise.......thinking of going to Rotella next fill or perhaps some Royal Purple 15W40 that I picked up on closeout at Auto Zone

Goose
34.gif

Another way of viewing this could be: if the oem is fine with current spec sl sm formulations, we should feel safe running any off the shelf oil of proper viscosity and not obsess so much about the additive package and jaso specs.

My daughter just bought a Yamaha scooter - I started researching oil, as any good BITOG member would.

I went to the API website where they list the licensees and the products they have API ratings for. Sure enough, Torco has a number of 4T products under the Yamalube brand name.

I don't know if they're superior or ordinary or just expensive - I expect they're a good product or we'd have heard otherwise by now.

I'll probably end up using M1 10w-40 MX 4T just because it's what's available locally.

If it's a scooter with no wet clutch, then there is absolutely no reason to let them bend you over for MC specific oil (there's not much reason to if it does have a wet clutch, HDEO works great).

Pick a good 15W-40 HDEO go with it.

Originally Posted By: wileyE
Another way of viewing this could be: if the oem is fine with current spec sl sm formulations, we should feel safe running any off the shelf oil of proper viscosity and not obsess so much about the additive package and jaso specs.

Good point...

....and the manufacturers know that the bike will most likely be crashed or parked and forgotten behind the barn long before the engine ever wears out, no matter what chrap oil is run. (especially Japanese bike engines)...

Drew

Couldn't agree more...A friend of mine had a Yamaha YZF R-1,2005 model,drove it like CRAZY,had changes every 3000 miles (5000km) and the bike ran like new after 20000kms,with this Yamalube oil.This is a 180hp/liter bike..

Last edited:
I'am with you guys,for now on my flh will be getting my favorite brand of 20w50 auto oil.I just changed my primary oil,I used 20w50 gtx.I used Rotella 80w90 in the trans.No more high price H.D. lubes for me.

Originally Posted By: whitesands
Originally Posted By: wileyE

Good point...

+1
I think we may overdo our oil worry'age a bit. How many guys just dump pretty much anything in there and off they go, no worries, while I'm having the oil analyzed (while worrying about whether or not my analyzer's machines are calibrated properly) and agonizing over UOA's/VOA's down to the individual PPM. In the meanwhile, Mr. NoCares is out cruising around merrily.
27.gif

I'm sure it's an OCD thing.

I agree r west,I know a guy that bought a 08 fatbob this year.By the time he could get his appointment for his free 1,000 mile service,he had 1,800 miles on his bike.If that was me I would not be able to sleep.To make a long story short,his bike does not use a drop of oil and runs great.

"HEY GUMBIE POKIE LIKES 2PPM OF BORON!" "RIDE ON BUDDY!"

How much is this oil a quart?? I'm sure it's more than supertech and it shouldn't be (LOL).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back