VOA - Valvoline Synthetic Motorcycle Oil 10W-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

The additives in the oil sample is different to what Valvoline says they should be.

Per the spec sheet, Zn/P should be 1120/1000 ppm, and Calcium/Sodium 1880/520 ppm.

Originally Posted by bugeye
Good for an old school flat tappet engine?

For a car? I don't see why not, although an HDEO would likely be just as good, for a little less money.

Originally Posted by shanneba
The latest spec sheet doesn't show the sodium. 8/15/18 DATE.

That's true, I have an older spec sheet that lists the sodium and calcium.

I use the 20-50 in my Harley 103 and it runs quieter and smoother than Mobil 1. I use Mobil 1 in most everything but I like this oil in the Harley.

Originally Posted by Brian553
Why boron as the choice detergent for motorcycle oil?
Are we sure it isn't a boron ester as a friction modifier?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199351

or is the species doing both..? (AO, Det, and FM)

There are many possible molecule types that the boron is part of and unfortunately there is no way of knowing from a VOA / UOA. With 291 PPM of it, it sure is a prominent part of the additive package.

Originally Posted by loneryder
I use the 20-50 in my Harley 103 and it runs quieter and smoother than Mobil 1. I use Mobil 1 in most everything but I like this oil in the Harley.

As you know I use Mystik JT8 semi syn 15/50 and I have so much of it I dont know if I will ever get a chance but if I do, the Valvoline Syn is a "I want to try oil" even though its not diesel rated for my bike, it sure looks darn close to a Diesel oil.

Always been a fan of Conventional Valvoline MC oil in past bikes, honestly and truly, never ran one bike with a full syn and would be curious ... I doubt I will ever get to that anytime soon I still have 1 or 2 years supply of the Mystik oil left

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JAG
Originally Posted by Brian553
Why boron as the choice detergent for motorcycle oil?
Are we sure it isn't a boron ester as a friction modifier?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=199351

or is the species doing both..? (AO, Det, and FM)

There are many possible molecule types that the boron is part of and unfortunately there is no way of knowing from a VOA / UOA. With 291 PPM of it, it sure is a prominent part of the additive package.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/530321/1
(attaching this for the lurkers)
Originally Posted by MolaKule

Anti-Wear and Extreme Pressure Additives (Surface Protective Additive):
ZDDP, ZTDC, Moly TDC, Antimony TDC, Organic Sulfur-Phosphorus-Nitrogen compounds, Borates and Borate Esters, Tricresyl Phosphates, amine phostphates, and other phosphate esters, Chlorine compounds, and lead diamylcarbamates, lead and barium naphthenates, sulfurized olefins; protective film interacts at various temperatures and pressures to provide either a plastic interface or to provide a compound which shears at the surface.

Detergents (Surface Protective Additive): metallo-organic compounds of sodium, calcium, magnesium, boron phenolates, phosphates and sulfonates such as alkylbenzene sulfonic acids, alkylphenol sulfides, alkylsalacyclic acids; Lift deposits from surfaces to keep them suspended.
[ July 14, 2003, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

My bet is AW/ EP for the transmission. For what it's worth, you're right, I don't know. I wish I knew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back