VOA - Ravenol Racing Super Performance RSP 5W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
VOA for Ravenol Racing Super Performance RSP - 5W-40 Oil

Batch: 17401500
Date: 26.10.17

Thinking of using this in my 2016 Audi S3 that asks for VW 502 oil. Only item flagged and something I need to do research in or get info on is the Sodium at 19ppm being flagged - being used as an additive. Currently using Ravenol SSL or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40. May try this next if its worth it - thoughts?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Seems to me that many of the boutique oils show a slight elevation of sodium. Don't know why.

I like Ravenol, with their fancy tungsten FM, but if you want the best value in a qualified oil, Walmart's (or amazon) Castrol Edge 0w40 or Mobil1 0w40 or Pennzoil Euro 0w40 is also VW 502.

I will use their REP 5W-30 once again for the summer OCI (I run a skid plate, with the factory radiator so there is A LOT OF heat!) since it is not too high in HTHSV for my app, and meets Dexo 2 specs while being low SA, and decent NOACK, along with their great anti-friction/anti-wear add pack, and PAO/POE base stock.
thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for this! I was stuck trying to pick between REP and RSP, and didn't really know the difference until I dug into your VOA. I'll be going with the RSP for my Subie thanks to the full-SAPS formulation and A3/B4 certs, vs the REP which is mid-SAPS and C3.

Although I've still got a jug of DXG on the shelf, I will probably keep it for winter use, since even though they are both 5w30s with similar formulations, DXG is only 9.1cSt @ 100*C and on the thin end of 30wts, whereas this is 12.4cSt and at the very top of the 30wt scale.

If you are looking for a good C3 oil but not at Ravenol price, you can find Pennzoil Platinum Euro L, but admittedly it will not have all the fancy POE/Ester nor tungsten.

Really want to like this oil but I don't know a whole lot about Ravenol other than a few posts here and there on Bitog and other forums.
I want to use this for my ‘13 WRX. It has had a steady diet of M1 0W40 since new and is now at 54K miles. My current fill broke away from M1 and is a mix of 0W20/0W40 Redline.
One question I have is in regards to density. Ravenol 5W30 is listed at .850 whereas RL gives a range of 0.874-0.885. Is density a good indication of base oil quality? Doesn't it indicate a greater PAO/POE concentration? If one of the things people get excited about is Ravenol's base oil quality, what does this then say about RL's?
What else does the universe know about Ravenol and the quality of their products?

Ravenol's RSP 5W30 is actually very similar to RL's 5W30 as far as KV40/100, VI, and HTHS are concerned but RL's NOAC is a bit lower than Ravenol's.

What kind of interests me is how does Ravenol manage a lower CCS/PP if they are both majority PAO? Does the lower density of Ravenol and the lower CCS/PP reflect a higher PAO content then RL?

Price point wise I think they both can be had for the same amount of money so I'm just curious.

Originally Posted by palahniuk
Ravenol's RSP 5W30 is actually very similar to RL's 5W30 as far as KV40/100, VI, and HTHS are concerned but RL's NOAC is a bit lower than Ravenol's.

What kind of interests me is how does Ravenol manage a lower CCS/PP if they are both majority PAO? Does the lower density of Ravenol and the lower CCS/PP reflect a higher PAO content then RL?

Price point wise I think they both can be had for the same amount of money so I'm just curious.

You may simply be seeing an artifact of the markedly different additive packages. Also, the densities for various PAO's are available on XOM chemical, if you wanted to see how far off the final products are.

I use these Ravenol oils (DXG, REP, DFE) over Red Line's equivalents mostly due to their low SA/calcium levels (Red Line's are still kind of high, even if they somehow claim to 'offset' it with high ZDDP/other additive levels to help prevent LSPI, and intake valve deposits, despite the sky high calcium levels).

Also, even Ravenol's REP, albeit labeled as a "racing oil" STILL meets the Dexos 2 specs/standards, which is amazing.

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Also, even Ravenol's REP, albeit labeled as a "racing oil" STILL meets the Dexos 2 specs/standards, which is amazing.

Certain types of racing which Ravenol sponsors require an off the shelf oil, rather than something bespoke (which they also do).

I just wanted to thank the OP for taking the time and spending the cash to do the voa on this particular oil and also thanks for the responses.

Would I be wrong to assume that the RSP, with its VI/HTHS (168/3.6), looks to be as shear stable or maybe even more so than the RL 5W30? It appears to be better than the 0W20/0W40 mix I am running now.

I'm not worried about SN+, Dexos 1 or Dexos 2, intake deposits, LSPI, or fuel economy. I just want something shear stable with a low NOAC that I can run all year around @ 5K intervals. I know there are a few other oils that fill that criteria but I also have this fixation on PAO/POE which limits my options a little more.

More than likely though I'm going to go with this oil in the Fall and, hopefully, I'll like it as much as I did the Euro M1 and run it for the next 50K miles.

Thanks again.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Seems to me that many of the boutique oils show a slight elevation of sodium. Don't know why.

It's left overs nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back