VOA of Schaeffer's products(any other misc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't posted before, but trying to learn some more about oil, additives, and such in general.

I did a search and can't find any VOA on any Schaeffer's products.
Has anyone done one before?
I am particularly interested in a VOA of their 5w40 full synthetic as I run it in my diesel truck.

Also does everyone send their stuff to get analyzed by Blackstone? I have a local shop that will do oil analysis for like $20 a sample. I didn't know if this was reasonable or not.

Sorry for a long scatter-brained post but I'll appreciate any feedback.
blush.gif

Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind welcome and info!
Its a bit intimidating when learning a new topic and posting up on a technical forum.

There is an argument going on at another forum regarding some oil additives being a 'miracle in a bottle' etc. I figured getting some hard info would put the issue to rest.

Last edited:
hah!
Its a thread about an oil additive that is supposed to reduce stiction in HEUI(Hydraulically actuated Electronically controlled Unit Injector)system on earlier Diesel trucks.
I figured having a VOA of both the oil and the additive and possibly a UOA of the combination of both would provide some good food for thought.
As of right now the entire thread is people speculating and brand bashing without any hard evidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: awitte58
hah!
Its a thread about an oil additive that is supposed to reduce stiction in HEUI(Hydraulically actuated Electronically controlled Unit Injector)system on earlier Diesel trucks.
I figured having a VOA of both the oil and the additive and possibly a UOA of the combination of both would provide some good food for thought.
As of right now the entire thread is people speculating and brand bashing without any hard evidence.

Happens here as soon as the word additive is mentioned.
Sad really

Quote:

That is a good way to approach an experiment. Doing otherwise is just a Shot-in-the-Dark.

1. Get a VOA of both the OTC additive AND the PCMO.
2. Get a VOA of the mix.
3. Run mix.
4. Get a UOA of mix.

Try to determine what changed for the better or worse.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:

That is a good way to approach an experiment. Doing otherwise is just a Shot-in-the-Dark.

1. Get a VOA of both the OTC additive AND the PCMO.
2. Get a VOA of the mix.
3. Run mix.
4. Get a UOA of mix.

Try to determine what changed for the better or worse.

Good luck.

And sometimes nothing changes which would make the results of the experiment "indeterminate," and infer the additive did nothing but reduce the weight of your pocketbook.

Appreciate the input! Thats sort of the steps I was going to take. Except the VOA of the mix... but I will add that to the list as well.

And my expectation is it does nothing but reduce the weight of your pocketbook or if any benefit is seen it is because it is adding Moly or something of the sort that can be found by running a better oil.
That would be why some people see an improvement is they add this Moly (Or whatever is active in the additive) to a rather lacking oil.

Either way it should be fun to see!

Also, I didnt know the acronyms "OTC additive AND the PCMO" but I was assuming you meant the oil and the additive. hah

OTC meant, "Over-The-Counter" or Third-Party Additive as opposed to commercial additives that we get from the chemical industry.

PCMO is "Passenger Car Motor Oil."

HDD is "Heavy Duty Diesel" oil."

Hang around here long enough and you'll get enough acronyms to make your head hurt.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back