Visited USS Midway museum in San Diego

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

Definitely recommend this place for anyone visiting San Diego soon. Entry is $23 per adult, but you will spend a good 3-4 hours on a VERY well done museum that shows you life on an aircraft carrier. I'm now looking to travel to similar museums in other cities as it's a great way to spend time as a tourist and learning about these things can be very humbling.

We've got the USS Hornet docked at the former NAS Alameda. Thinking of taking my kid there. I might be able to get a discount or even free admission with my library card.

We visited the Midway about 18 months ago. I've never been on a carrier, but I know a man from my hometown who served on the Midway. It was fun imagining what it was like when he served there.

The man who was metering visitors to the tower, was a former captain on the ship. I asked if he knew Tony Riek and he said, "Yes I knew Tony and he was a big deal, how do you know him?" I said, "I met him through his website (BITOG)" We went on to talk about Tony and suffice to say, Tony, as a Fleet Master Chief, was well known and highly respected.

I visited the USS Iowa a few years back as that is the one my grandfather served on. I was not very impressed, I think they lack funding at that one.

The HMS Belfast in London is a great visit- almost all the compartments can be visited. I want to go to the Nauticus exhibit in Norfolk but I am not sure how much of the battleship Wisconsin can be seen.

My cousin was stationed on the USS Midway and it rocked and rolled on the high seas. He was reassigned to the USS Carl Vinson and said it was a smoother ride.

I just watched a documentary on the new Ford Class carriers that are currently being built. The sheer size of those things is mind boggling. Then they said it had a 35 knot top speed!

Originally Posted by anndel
My cousin was stationed on the USS Midway and it rocked and rolled on the high seas. He was reassigned to the USS Carl Vinson and said it was a smoother ride.

+1 on the Vinson ride. I had the honor of making two trips from Pearl Harbor to San Diego on the Carl Vinson CVN70. I can't comment about the Midway, but the Vinson was quite smooth.
wink.gif
She's in the shipyard in Bremerton, WA getting an overhaul now.

Funny you would post this, I just visited the Missouri in Hawaii on 2-28-19. Cost was $29 but I felt it was well worth it.

Picture is from the highest point you could get to without the private 90min tour.

The concrete mooring piers(?) in the water to the front are battleship row. And the white building on the water is the closed Arizona memorial.
The immediate foreground of the picture is actually quite huge and a lower level. Its an odd perspective because I had to hold the camera up high to avoid massive sun glare off the plexiglass shields in front of me.

MVIMG_20190227_135753_exported_3125916502424014368.jpg

Visited the Intrepid (Essex Class) in NYC a couple years ago. Amazing the resources we had to build planes, aircraft carriers, submarienes, battleships, etc during WWII. Technology was amazing.
Doubt I will ever get to the Left Coast to see it.

Originally Posted by Rand
Funny you would post this, I just visited the Missouri in Hawaii on 2-28-19. Cost was $29 but I felt it was well worth it.

Picture is from the highest point you could get to without the private 90min tour.

The concrete mooring piers(?) in the water to the front are battleship row. And the white building on the water is the closed Arizona memorial.
The immediate foreground of the picture is actually quite huge and a lower level. Its an odd perspective because I had to hold the camera up high to avoid massive sun glare off the plexiglass shields in front of me.

Your photo shows the beginning and end of WWII. Standing on the deck where the surrender was signed, the tour guide is described that days events and mentioned the juxtaposition of the Missouri and Arizona. It was a powerful reminder.

I really want to visit the Midway. Ships are awesome, add aircraft and it's just too much good stuff.

Originally Posted by tom slick
Originally Posted by Rand

Your photo shows the beginning and end of WWII. Standing on the deck where the surrender was signed, the tour guide is described that days events and mentioned the juxtaposition of the Missouri and Arizona. It was a powerful reminder.

I really want to visit the Midway. Ships are awesome, add aircraft and it's just too much good stuff.

Your right for the American prospective and I have had the prilvage visting both Missouri and then surving sites from the attack on Pearl Harbor it is a very beautiful place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back