Viscosity recommendation for 200k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Bought a truck with 200k miles and was wondering your thoughts on viscosity. It apparently has run duno 5w-30 it's whole life with pretty much 3,000 - 4,000 mile OCI. I haven't pulled a valve cover or anything like that as there is zero leaks or wetness (don't plan to right now) however I will try to get some pictures down the fill hole.

Engine is a Dodge 4.7 V8 (2004)

Would you keep this on 5w-30 or move to 5w-40? No idea if it's burning any yet.

Would you keep it dyno or just move it to synthetic to prolong the life a minuscule amount?

Thanks

If it were me I would switch it over to synthetic but I would stick with 5w30 for now and see if the consumption is reasonable and if it's consuming too much then consider the step to something a bit thicker.

New England prolly not all that hot in summer ... Either oil would be fine. If no cold start rattles and the lifters are quiet, no need to switch. But I would be running an HDEO vs an energy conserving oil for the better HTHS
smile.gif

Use any name brand 5w-30 or 10w-30 with confidence. You could even move to 0w-30 if you wanted. Technically speaking some oils have higher HTSC like 10w-30s, especially diesel rated 10w-30s, but even 0w-40s would work for you.

Since you are in NE, personally I would run Rotella T5 10w-30 in the summer with a Fram ultra synthetic filter, and move to a 5w-30 for the winter.

I wouldn’t change a thing. After 200k of running one kind of oil, I would be hesitant to try anything different.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
My plan right now is to switch it to M1 5w-30 and a Fram XG8A (over sized).

200k isn't much if the engine hasn't been abused and is of reasonably sound design.

Even so I'd strongly suggest a high mileage variant if you plan to switch to synthetic oil. At that age some seals could be tired and relying on a little gunk to remain tight, so extra seal conditioner will reduce the chance of weeping. Good choice of a high capacity filter as an oil with better cleaning action can knock loose some gunk you didn't know existed.

I've had good luck with Pennzoil conventional HM, M1 synthetic HM, along with Valvoline and Castrol synthetic blend HM oils, though I did have a previously damaged camshaft seal begin weeping a couple years after I started using HM oils.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
If the oil pressure is good and it has no other problems keep doing what you've been doing.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I wouldn’t change a thing. After 200k of running one kind of oil, I would be hesitant to try anything different.

Sounds like quality answers to me.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
My plan right now is to switch it to M1 5w-30 and a Fram XG8A (over sized).

That's not the worst plan I ever heard, it sounds pretty darn good to me.

A 15 year old engine with 200K miles, all of it on conventional oil? Does not sound like a recipe for success for changing to synthetic oil.

Maxlife 10W30 summer, 5W30 winter would be my choice, assuming the oil pressure is good on that weight.

VeryNoisyPoet, above, is right. Recommend Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w30, a high-mileage oil, which just means they put in extra seal conditioners to be good to old seals, thats about all. One could go with any brand of synthetic and just add a half-bottle of LiquiMoly Motor Oil Saver which is mostly just seal conditoner for the boost you might need.

Good plan going to an over-sized excellent oil filter type, Fram Ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bubbatime
A 15 year old engine with 200K miles, all of it on conventional oil? Does not sound like a recipe for success for changing to synthetic oil.

Maxlife 10W30 summer, 5W30 winter would be my choice, assuming the oil pressure is good on that weight.
I'd do this. And I do on my own 4.7.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

How long did you run conventional oil before going synthetic? I’ve heard several accounts of people who switched to Synthetic after running conventional oil for a long time. The change caused leaks and consumption.

Now this won’t happen on a engine you switch back and forth on but my guess is that after 200k if running conventional oil, a switch to synthetic might cause some issues.

So again, just my own advice, I would stick with conventional oil for the op’s Vehicle.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: Blkstanger

How long did you run conventional oil before going synthetic? I’ve heard several accounts of people who switched to Synthetic after running conventional oil for a long time. The change caused leaks and consumption.

Now this won’t happen on a engine you switch back and forth on but my guess is that after 200k if running conventional oil, a switch to synthetic might cause some issues.

So again, just my own advice, I would stick with conventional oil for the op’s Vehicle.
Maxlife is a blend

Last edited:
200k miles would be a good time to move it to a High Mileage oil. Take your pick, but I like M1 HM or Valvoline MaxLife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back