Viscosity @ 100°C

How would one know how shear stable an oil is? M1 HM or Valvoline full synthetic Maxlife, both 5/30.....which would win that contest?

thats why HTHS is encluded in PCMO oil specs, it takes into account VI shearing so to stay in grade has to stay in HTHS range.

Are you saying to start with the heavier oil? Of those 2....the M1 appears to be heavier at 100° C
For an older engine/burning/noisy/tendency for oil sheering/fuel dilution prone/manual does not strictly requires one viscosity then yes... That's my opinion.

How would one know how shear stable an oil is? M1 HM or Valvoline full synthetic Maxlife, both 5/30.....which would win that contest?

By comparing UOA viscosity at 100C to new oil viscosity at 100C. Oil needs to be ran in the same engine for the same miles/conditions to get a comparable shearing of different oils in that specific engine because not all engines shear & dilute oil to the same level.

By comparing UOA viscosity at 100C to new oil viscosity at 100C. Oil needs to be ran in the same engine for the same miles/conditions to get a comparable shearing of different oils in that specific engine because not all engines shear & dilute oil to the same level.

I'm hearing that the Toyota 4.0 1GR V6 is easy on oil. But who knows?

thats why HTHS is encluded in PCMO oil specs, it takes into account VI shearing so to stay in grade has to stay in HTHS range.
M1 doesn't give that info on 5/30 HM...at least that I could find. Saw it on some other weights. But not that one

M1 doesn't give that info on 5/30 HM...at least that I could find. Saw it on some other weights. But not that one

Its in the API specs to meet say a SN or SP. Most mfg do no quote it since it is required for the grade.
A 0w40 or 5/40 is a HTHS of 2.9 or greater you have to pass this on the way toward API approval.

How would I go about comparing the current additive packs of ML synthetic and M1 HM? I feel like that's something I might be able to find around here. Just not sure where to begin

How would I go about comparing the current additive packs of ML synthetic and M1 HM? I feel like that's something I might be able to find around here. Just not sure where to begin
If you're not sure where to begin, are you sure you're able to make a qualified distinction between the two if you find out?

I'm not able to predict the future performance of a motor oil based on a VOA or PDS but maybe you are.

If you're not sure where to begin, are you sure you're able to make a qualified distinction between the two if you find out?

I'm not able to predict the future performance of a motor oil based on a VOA or PDS but maybe you are.
Just curious and trying to educate myself. It's not about predicted which oil is "better". I'm confident they're both fine.

The more I hang out here, the more interesting it becomes to me. That's all.

No need to be rude about it

Just curious and trying to educate myself. It's not about predicted which oil is "better". I'm confident they're both fine.

The more I hang out here, the more interesting it becomes to me. That's all.

No need to be rude about it

I doubt you will find anything current as Valvoline just reformulated for SP as did the other oil companies.

kschachn has a good point. What will the add pack tell you. There is a lot in motor oil that does not show on a consumer analysis and that’s not the point of a analysis to begin with.

google around for API testing to qaulify motor oils its like 4 or 5 pages of tests that must be met or conform to to get API license.

Back