Virgin Amsoil EA 15k03

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics of my virgin Amsoil EA 15k03 that fits GM Ecotec 2.2 and 2.4 engines.
I'm very pleased with its construction, wire backed synthetic media.
Put it in my 03 Cavalier with Amsoil Signature Series 0w40.
Planning to run it 1 year, which will probably be around 12k miles.

[img:center][/img]

That is a nice looking cartridge filter. The end caps aren't just a flat piece but capture the media. I noticed on the latest Chev 4 cyls they seem to be specifying canister filters again. Like the Delco UPF64R for the 2016-17 Cruze etc 4 cyls.

What is the cost? Do we know who makes these?

Looks like a solid filter though. Wire backed media in a cartridge filter just seems like a really needed feature.
My mom's Saturn uses the same filter.I have a Fram Ultra that I got for $7 in it now (with Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30).
I am debating going 2 OLM cycles with the filter (~14,000 miles).
I have a Bosch Distance Plus that will replace the Fram when the time comes.

The Amsoil EA15k03 is $6.40 if you are a preferred customer.
I believe this is a Champion Labs made filter.

Last edited:
Old post, but that filter is $15.65 Preferred Customer price, not sure when it was $6.40 or when they raised it.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Old post, but that filter is $15.65 Preferred Customer price, not sure when it was $6.40 or when they raised it.

$15.65? Yuck. I just bought 11 (yes eleven) Champion filters for my F150 for 2 dollars more than that delivered.

Yes, the price did take quite a jump, price was $6.40 when I started this thread.
Still feel its worth it, you won't find a better made filter for these Ecotec applications.

Cronk: I bought one for my 09 Cobalt SS Turbo just to compare it with the PF457G stock Hengst filter. The Amsoil Ea has thicker media, but the plastic "cage" doesn't seem to be as free flowing as the PF457G. Did they change it over the years? One of my problems with the Fram PH version is the cage seemed restrictive and it wasn't made right. But the TG/XG seems to be made more to OE-spec.

Originally Posted by metroplex
Cronk: I bought one for my 09 Cobalt SS Turbo just to compare it with the PF457G stock Hengst filter. The Amsoil Ea has thicker media, but the plastic "cage" doesn't seem to be as free flowing as the PF457G. Did they change it over the years? One of my problems with the Fram PH version is the cage seemed restrictive and it wasn't made right. But the TG/XG seems to be made more to OE-spec.

I don't think any eCore cage is "restrictive". Even the most closed up cage has more flow area than any metal center tube.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I don't think any eCore cage is "restrictive". Even the most closed up cage has more flow area than any metal center tube.

Exactly. I almost find some of these ideas funny, except that people actually believe it. Besides, the oil is under pressure and is forced thru the media and core. Even a louvered tube with some still shut will still flow plenty.

I don't see the cage on any of these filters being restrictive.
Look at the outlet passage in the bottom of the filter housing in the block, its about the diameter of a #2 pencil.
I dont see 12 or 15 1/4 inch cage openings being any restriction at all really!

Last edited:
For what it is worth as it has been a long time: I took photos about 10 years ago, but the Fram PH cartridge for the LNF had tiny holes in the core and wasn't exactly the same size as the OEM, but the OEM AC Delco PF457G (made by Hengst) had much much much larger openings. The overall quality of those PH cartridges just didn't seem very good at the time. I sent pics and wrote to Fram back in the day, and I think I saw the latest PH version being improved (can't recall if it did or not). I basically just use PF457G for the LNF. However, I recently bought one of the Amsoil EA15K filters just as a comparison and won't hesitate to use it. I started looking at Amsoil after my girlfriend pointed out all of her vehicles get Amsoil oil and filters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back