Viral TikTok shows steak locked up to prevent theft at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with locking up items is that it becomes a hassle for paying customers. The Walgreens in Chicago lock up their toothpaste, Tide detergent, air fresheners, ect.....It took 10 minutes for a Walgreen employee to open the "cage" and then walk with me up to the register. Paying customers are just going to shop out in the suburbs where this isn't necessary.

The problem with locking up items is that it becomes a hassle for paying customers. The Walgreens in Chicago lock up their toothpaste, Tide detergent, air fresheners, ect.....It took 10 minutes for a Walgreen employee to open the "cage" and then walk with me up to the register. Paying customers are just going to shop out in the suburbs where this isn't necessary.

Yep. That’s why Amazon is where I shop for things I would normally buy from CVS or Walgreens.

Last edited:
Yes and no.

If items are stolen a lot the store has to raise price, and it hurt the paying customers too. So there is a point you have to go one way or another depending on what make sense.

Or they can just decide not to carry something frequently stolen and no profit, and let the customers buy from Amazon instead. You like that?

Yes and no.

If items are stolen a lot the store has to raise price, and it hurt the paying customers too. So there is a point you have to go one way or another depending on what make sense.

Or they can just decide not to carry something frequently stolen and no profit, and let the customers buy from Amazon instead. You like that?
It doesn't make any sense at all to lock up low cost items. Amazon prices continue to increase and I find more people going back to brick and mortar stores. Of course, most of these "lock down" CVS and Walgreens are in the West and South sides of Chicago. This is nothing but "shoplifting theater". A determined thief can still smash the locked cases and grab items anyways! I find it incredible how angry the average American gets about shoplifting but cares very little about violent crime that is plaguing inner cities.

Last edited:
It doesn't make any sense at all to lock up low cost items. Amazon prices continue to increase and I find more people going back to brick and mortar stores. Of course, most of these "lock down" CVS and Walgreens are in the West and South sides of Chicago. This is nothing but "shoplifting theater". A determined thief can still smash the locked cases and grab items anyways! I find it incredible how angry the average American gets about shoplifting but cares very little about violent crime that is plaguing inner cities.
There is no "average" Americans these days. Our distribution is quite bi-polar (lowish income in one area vs highish income in another area). You cannot just mix the two together other than funding and laws within the same cities despite different neighborhoods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back