Viral TikTok shows steak locked up to prevent theft at Walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cash?
Ohhh that stuff getting moldy in my wallet🙃 I really really strive to remember the last time I’ve used cash. Whenever that time was, was to simply leave a waitress a cash tip instead of putting it on the charge card. This gives her the option to share it or not.

With that said cash will never go away and you are correct I don’t know where a store can legally ban cash.
It could be looked upon as a form of discrimination and if somebody hasn’t thought about that yet you can bet they will!!!
Still use it all the time. The small mom and pop places are usually cash only and it's good a restaurants too, you just leave cash and you don't have to wait for the waiter to come back with your card and risk getting it hacked. I've gotten double charged in the past where they ran the card twice for the same transaction.

Your sweet green pictures of dead presidents are not welcome here.
I prefer the non president one, As the saying goes, it's all about the Benjamins.

Benjamin Moore makes good paint, but it might cost you a Benjamin. 😎
Well you can go with the cheaper line at Sherwin Williams. Benjamin Moore Aura paint used to list for over $70 a gallon but you could find dealers that would give you the contractor rate if you said you were a landlord and it was only in the $55 range. Haven't bought any in the last couple years so not sure if they're up over a Benjamin yet. I used to do Superpaint at Sherwin Williams which was in the $40 range with their 30-40% off coupons all the time, but lately during all these shortages, they haven't been running those discounts lately.

Yep, things will get bad cause criminals know store employees are told not to confront them.

Still use it all the time. The small mom and pop places are usually cash only and it's good a restaurants too, you just leave cash and you don't have to wait for the waiter to come back with your card and risk getting it hacked. I've gotten double charged in the past where they ran the card twice for the same transaction.

I prefer the non president one, As the saying goes, it's all about the Benjamins.
Oh, I understand, its just that if I use cash I pay an extra 3 to 5% penalty for my meal and it adds up in cash back every month. Fun thing for us at a time where a FDIC bank pays in some cases a tenth of 1% in interest for the year and here every restaurant we eat at we get back 3 to 5%.
Its just a lifestyle change I think, everything we buy (and we buy a lot of stuff according to family members *LOL*) we are paid back a min of 2% and depending on what it is we are paid back up to 5%.
Another example, summers are important to my wife and I, we tend to eat out a lot, travel, not internationally but locally within a few states, beaches, mountains ect and all summer long we are paid back 5% of the cost of the restaurants, throw in 3% to 5% for the supermarket. ect...ect... and never ever are we paid less than 2% csh back on anything we spend on.

Oh, I understand, its just that if I use cash I pay an extra 3 to 5% penalty for my meal and it adds up in cash back every month. Fun thing for us at a time where a FDIC bank pays in some cases a tenth of 1% in interest for the year and here every restaurant we eat at we get back 3 to 5%.
Its just a lifestyle change I think, everything we buy (and we buy a lot of stuff according to family members *LOL*) we are paid back a min of 2% and depending on what it is we are paid back up to 5%.
Another example, summers are important to my wife and I, we tend to eat out a lot, travel, not internationally but locally within a few states, beaches, mountains ect and all summer long we are paid back 5% of the cost of the restaurants, throw in 3% to 5% for the supermarket. ect...ect... and never ever are we paid less than 2% csh back on anything we spend on.
What credit card are you using? I use a Fidelity card which is 2% back on everything. Those other cards which give you 3-5% do less on other purchases so then you have to play some game where you have to use the right card for a particular purpose so I can't really be bothered. I have two Fidelity cards and they're both 2%, the 2nd is a backup in case I lose the first one or it gets hacked and I just like to have everything in one statement so easier to do taxes at the end of the year and not have to decide which card to use for whatever the particular situation is.

What credit card are you using? I use a Fidelity card which is 2% back on everything. Those other cards which give you 3-5% do less on other purchases so then you have to play some game where you have to use the right card for a particular purpose so I can't really be bothered. I have two Fidelity cards and they're both 2%, the 2nd is a backup in case I lose the first one or it gets hacked and I just like to have everything in one statement so easier to do taxes at the end of the year and not have to decide which card to use for whatever the particular situation is.
Ohhhh boy, here we go, my wife and I got this to a science. We both carry separate cards, do not share the same account/we are not on the same accounts.
1. Citi - Double Cash Back card = 2% all the time (had it a long time)

2. Wells Fargo Active Cash back card (had it a few months) = 2% all the time PLUS you can activate certain stores for short periods of time for more. However I just took this card because they paid me an extra $200 or $250 to take it, I just needed to keep it for 3 months which I did but still have it. Deciding whether to ditch the Citi card or not, I like Citi better but (read on)

3. Discover card (had it a long time) every three months a new category right now 5% for groceries and all I use it for or else it would be 1% and no need for that as I have 2 - 2% min. cards above ^^
The best part, as per my last post, wife and I love summer, without fail every year I had this card we get 5% back on all our restaurant meals

4. A. - Chase - kind of works like the Discover above but dont use it as much but at times it does fill in for a category that one of the others cant at more than 2% (had this card for decades) right now its 5% on groceries.

4. B- Just received a new Chase card in addition to the other above (Freedom Unlimited) because like Wells Fargo they paid me $200 to $250 to take the card, I can cancel after 3 months, still have it because I get 3% cash back all year at restaurants, so that fills in for the months that Discover doesnt offer 5% at restaurants. I do also get 5% on travel all year.

5. American Express - 3% on groceries year round when I dont get 5% from any of the other cards.

Final and oh my, Christmas time normally at least one card has 5% on Amazon, Walmart, Target, Sams Club, Costco .. or any combination during the year.
With all the above said, its a lot of work keeping track of them, its a hobby, I will get getting rid of two, I think, I only took on two more in the last few months because between the two they paid me in cash, a total of $400 or $500 so why not, take it and cancel it.

6. Dont even get me started on my wife who has her own cards and does the same as me. Between the two of us, we are always getting 5% and worse case 2% She also took on two cards recently because they gave her $400 to $500 for taking them, same deal as you know, you can cancel anytime, yes you need to spend up to $1000 (normally $750) before they give you the $200 to $250.

My head starts spinning trying to type this *LOL* its just become so retarded this past year, banks falling over themselves giving away money.
Yes, that is all because the general public does not have the discipline to pay this stuff off every month so people like us benefit who do pay it off.
Anyway, looking to eliminate now that I got the cash back. Think I need to make a choice between #1 and 2 above. I always loved my citi card, always great dealing with them regarding any unauthorized charges ect. They few times it happened, boom, instant credit, I mean, instant. Even if it was something I ordered online but didnt receive.
I dont really like Wells Fargo as much (but I do own a significant amount of their stock, at least so far, might be time to start shedding some) but their card offers the same min 2% plus other categories.
You do need to be careful canceling credit lines, make sure you maintain a couple that are long term or you may trash your credit and why I hesitate to get rid of some decades old. Make sure not to have only new ones.
My wife has a new citi card that simply takes the category you spend the most in for the month and applies 5% cash back, they paid her $200 to $250 to take the card too, plus another one for the same amount...$200 to $250...

Its so stupid simple if this is your thing. I like it, ok, so the next one I am deciding is if I take Chase up on their offer for free checking and they will pay us $350 to open the account. Im tempted for min of effort, open the account, 3 months later they deposit $350.
I dont know, just guessing since I dont want to spend anymore time on BITOG but I think we got $2,250 in cash from the credit card companies last year.
I go to go, I see a few typos in this LONG post.
Oh and unrelated but is related... the newest coolest thing we both are enjoying is not even having to take our cards out to charge stuff. First we were using our phones to pay but now we use our Apple Watches to pay. (assuming the store is up to date with their readers)

Last edited:
Well you can go with the cheaper line at Sherwin Williams. Benjamin Moore Aura paint used to list for over $70 a gallon but you could find dealers that would give you the contractor rate if you said you were a landlord and it was only in the $55 range. Haven't bought any in the last couple years so not sure if they're up over a Benjamin yet. I used to do Superpaint at Sherwin Williams which was in the $40 range with their 30-40% off coupons all the time, but lately during all these shortages, they haven't been running those discounts lately.
SW, PPG and Kelly-Moore were hit hard by those shortages. Ben Moore and Behr didn’t do too bad - the local dealers and Home Depot all had paint during that time. I’m part of PaintPerks with SW, though I rarely use it, a clubhouse I volunteer at has things painted with their stuff.

Sorry I asked, seemed a bit complicated. That's the problem with those 2-5% cards, too many rules to keep track off otherwise you end up with less than 2%. I think too much mental gymnastics to be worth it. I don't think I spend 10k on restaurants in a year. But if you did, that works out to $300. Sign up for an account figure out how to use their website, login to track expenses make sure nothing out of the ordinary show up, not really worth it, easier to have everything in one statement.

So...ever actually had one? (Thought not.)
Well he did say life was too short so of course he hasn't eaten one, if he did, it'd mean that life was longer than he though.

I mean Walmart isn't stocking prime, probably the best would be choice, but it's all the same DNA so whether you get it at Walmart or some other grocery store, it probably comes from the same rancher and the same company slaughterhouse. There's only about 4 major slaughterhouse companies in the US that do 80% of the business. They probably don't care who they're packaging it for.

One hot summer day I was very thirsty and opened a cold bottle of water from Aquafina cooler while I was inside Walmart and was drinking it while shopping.

I had undercover loss prevention officer following me around to make sure I paid for 79 cent bottle of water. I do understand but he doesn’t have to worry about a bottle of water while the cosmetics , tool and electronics isle is getting hit very hard by shoplifters.

Last I checked, Wal*Mart doesn't have a higher percentage of its workforce on assistance compared to the population in general.

If someone has 12 kids and works at Wal*Mart, they are probably getting assistance. Not because of the wages, but because they chose to have 12 kids.
Walmart starting pay here is $14-15 for a regular floor worker. A single person, working 40 hours a week, doesn't qualify for assistance in the state of Ohio. In that circumstance, any talk of WM workers qualifying for gov't aid is just false. As you point out, throw in dependents and yes, they will qualify but not because of "low" wages that WM pays, but because they have dependents. There are a LOT of places that still pay minimum wage too.

One hot summer day I was very thirsty and opened a cold bottle of water from Aquafina cooler while I was inside Walmart and was drinking it while shopping.

I had undercover loss prevention officer following me around to make sure I paid for 79 cent bottle of water. I do understand but he doesn’t have to worry about a bottle of water while the cosmetics , tool and electronics isle is getting hit very hard by shoplifters.
Oh yeah I remember that thread. The consensus was that you shouldn't have done that.

Ah yes, Walmart.

Using the country's infrastructure to build their massive empire while exploiting their workers - relying on the the taxpayers to subsidize their pay with government benefits. And people just eat it up because they can get their Chinese crap for cheap.

I think I'll go to Walmart and steal some steaks on principle.
What a crock.
You allow the government to support lower paid workers with benefits then blame the company.
It’s laughable, not only that but you single out the one company that pays their workers more than the 100s of thousands or millions of entry level and factory workers in this country.
Hey let’s by decree have everything run around what government does, ohh, wait, we are a free country. We already know that never works out well for the people.
(not meant to be personal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back