Viral Synthetic 2 Stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

At Canadian Tire the other day I saw some new Viral brand 2 stroke and bought a litre out of curiousity mostly. I had intended to run it in my CR250 but when looking up the data sheets I found that the flashpoint is a paltry 157 degrees. This is the lowest I've seen. It also meets JASO FD and TCW-3. It's beginning to look like more of a multipurpose low stress oil rather than a motocross oil. I'm certainly no professional racer and I don't have my engine singing the whole time but it certainly does get a workout. I can't figure out what sort of base oil it's made from.

What do you all think? It's made by XenTx out of OK for Ignition Products which I believe is Canadian Tire's powersports brand.

[img:left]
photo1-1.jpg
[/img]
[img:left]
photo2.jpg
[/img]

Oh man that stuff doesnt seem right. I bet they are telling the truth when they say smokeless, better throttle response and quicker acceleration. Most likely because of the low flashpoint. Id put some in the fuel tank of my four strokes though. "UCL"

Marketed towards the uninformed. Stuff looks primarily like TC-W3 but obviously their "spin" is its synthetic so it looks like its good for high performance stuff. Notice how they say its good in only liquid-cooled engines? I know very few two stroke engines beyond boat motors that are liquid-cooled. Certainly no motocross bikes I've rid on.

I'd use a stouter oil meant for air cooled motors if you really wanna thrash, this stuff is just boat oil.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Marketed towards the uninformed. Stuff looks primarily like TC-W3 but obviously their "spin" is its synthetic so it looks like its good for high performance stuff. Notice how they say its good in only liquid-cooled engines? I know very few two stroke engines beyond boat motors that are liquid-cooled. Certainly no motocross bikes I've rid on.

I'd use a stouter oil meant for air cooled motors if you really wanna thrash, this stuff is just boat oil.

While I agree that I wouldn't use it in any engine I cared about...

Most MX bikes are now liquid cooled...water pump, radiator, the whole bit...now, my '73 Penton and my '77 Suzuki RM were air cooled...but I am dating myself...

And back in that day, I was a Golden Spectro fan for 2 stroke oil...had good luck with Bel-Ray products in the trans and suspension...

Last edited:
Its not crazy technology. I'm guessing they use a lot of PIB (polyisobutylene) which is used by every manufacture at different doses.

PIB flashes at that temp 150-190deg. PIB is what makes oils smokeless and burn clean but it does come with some consequences. Its anti scuffing but too much will wear a high rpm engines.

You ideally want to design 2-cycle oil with as much wear protection as you can but at the lowest flash point. Usually they conflict. Lower flash point means more oil burn in the power window. Most of the heat generated in 2-cycle engine comes from oil burning to slow. Hence why exhaust temps are crazy high.

and

2) the solvents pre-detonating the fuel and causing consequences.

I'm working on my own oil that wont use any petroleum distalats.

These are dispersion solvents to keep thing clean but reduce the effective of the anit-fiction additives. ie solvents destroy oil ability and do nothing for exhaust cleanliness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back