Viper Cockpit Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this, thought you guys might enjoy it.

F-16 viper cockpit tour

In a former life I've worked on the engines for THAT plane. My SIL is a backseater in that squadron as a flight test engineer. I haven't asked if she's flown with the canook yet.

side note, he mentions the GE engine then they show the nozzle of a Pratt & Whitney. That's sort of like someone mentioning a small block chevy and they show a small block Ford.

Originally Posted By: tom slick

side note, he mentions the GE engine then they show the nozzle of a Pratt & Whitney. That's sort of like someone mentioning a small block chevy and they show a small block Ford.

He's just the driver, you need to ask the crew chief about technical stuff.
11.gif
34.gif

Sometimes crew chiefs don't know either! That plane had GE and the stock footage they used was P&W. F-16's can have 5 different flavors of engine.

He does make the stereotypical pilot mistake. He refers to the plane as powerful because it's "augmented" then later refers to the afterburner. 'burner is an old turbojet term, modern turbofans are augmented by definition.

I asked my SIL about the canuk plane driver and she was good friends with him and his family and they'd flown several hours together...

He was in the selection process to be a Canadian Astronaut, during routine medical checks they discovered a brain tumor. Surgery and meds have taken him out of the cockpit forever he's moved back to Canada with his wife. His future in the RCAF is unknown.
I was sorry to hear about it. Apparently this all happened right after this segment was filmed.

Sometimes crew chiefs don't know either! That plane had GE and the stock footage they used was P&W. F-16's can have 5 different flavors of engine.

He does make the stereotypical pilot mistake. He refers to the plane as powerful because it's "augmented" then later refers to the afterburner. 'burner is an old turbojet term, modern turbofans are augmented by definition.

I can think of 4 that are GE's F110-100 Block3, F110-100 Block4, F110-129, F110-100B (Israeli only?), and F110-132. I know Pratt had at least two.

They are all engines.
54.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back