Violet. My 2016 Subaru WRX STI

Status
Not open for further replies.
US Highway 441 between Gatlinburg, TN and Cherokee, NC.

BB07CD49-0D57-480D-94FB-1E0FD073125A.jpeg

I don't know what it is about the STI. They're clunky as all [censored], but man do they catch my eye every time I see one.

Originally Posted by RamFan
I don't know what it is about the STI. They're clunky as all [censored], but man do they catch my eye every time I see one.
Because they are one of the few cars on the road that actually looks aggressive, especially in a dark colour like OP's. Honda tried to do the same with the Civic Type-R, but it still looks like a grain of rice with a bunch of tacky crap stuck on it.

The rear spoiler doesn't look ricey at all on an STI, I love how it actually fits with the rest of the exterior styling.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Type R looks ridiculous.

Nice WRX, I was thinking of getting one.

if they would make a wrx hatchback I would have bought one anytime since 2015.

STI are really nice but too much for daily driver.. the antique engine isnt a plus. they should have a FA2.5DIT in there by now.\
and f150 get better gas mileage.. but for a weekend vehicle love it.. Always liked them.

Originally Posted by SSerian

Great road! We were just on it in October. Proposed to my girlfriend at Laurel Falls.

We were in her 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T 6MT. Fun car, but much softer suspension than my 2016 WRX that I sold last year.

Have you taken it to Deal's Gap yet?

Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by SSerian

Great road! We were just on it in October. Proposed to my girlfriend at Laurel Falls.

We were in her 2018 Civic Hatchback 1.5T 6MT. Fun car, but much softer suspension than my 2016 WRX that I sold last year.

Have you taken it to Deal's Gap yet?

Yep. Same trip.

Trip was actually 2 October's ago.

Looking to enter a road rally in Huntsville, AL in February.

1FA4AB2B-96F2-4FA6-9DBF-38BA43057F8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Try Clifton Morenci "Mule Mountain" to Glenwood NM.

Middle of nowhere and not worth a special trip, but definitely worth a detour if you are traveling West on a Southern route.

Love the car. In a way, I wish Subaru would do a "stripper" STi model (or at least the WRX)... I know the STi is the pinnacle of Subaru's engineering, but not everyone wants 800+ pounds of leather, and navigation, and sunroof, etc etc... and yes, I agree Subaru needs to get a "hot" version of the 2.4 turbo in the next model, with at least 350HP. Give it at least 7"+ of ground clearance, some Primitive Racing skidplates from the factory, and bring back the gold BBS wheels (and the 5-door). Curb weight 3000 lbs without driver, and they won't be able to bring them over the pond fast enough to keep them on the lots...

So many things have progressed over the past 20 years at Subaru, yet one thing that will never get old is the spirit of the early WRX/STi. Sure it was brash, uncouth at times even, but you can't forget the things that made you famous. Seeing old 2.5RSs or the 555 Rally cars still brings excitement just from seeing the pics. IMO they are missing an even bigger market share for the WRX/STi because they've made the new cars relatively "soft" in the historical sense of the model.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Love the car. In a way, I wish Subaru would do a "stripper" STi model (or at least the WRX)... I know the STi is the pinnacle of Subaru's engineering, but not everyone wants 800+ pounds of leather, and navigation, and sunroof, etc etc... and yes, I agree Subaru needs to get a "hot" version of the 2.4 turbo in the next model, with at least 350HP. Give it at least 7"+ of ground clearance, some Primitive Racing skidplates from the factory, and bring back the gold BBS wheels (and the 5-door). Curb weight 3000 lbs without driver, and they won't be able to bring them over the pond fast enough to keep them on the lots...

So many things have progressed over the past 20 years at Subaru, yet one thing that will never get old is the spirit of the early WRX/STi. Sure it was brash, uncouth at times even, but you can't forget the things that made you famous. Seeing old 2.5RSs or the 555 Rally cars still brings excitement just from seeing the pics. IMO they are missing an even bigger market share for the WRX/STi because they've made the new cars relatively "soft" in the historical sense of the model.

I couldn't agree more.

I had a 2003 WRX bugeye that was heavily modded. STI 2.5 short block, WRX 2.0 heads, custom tune with stock td04 turbo, STi injectors and full exhaust. The car made a full 18.5 lbs of boost at just 2800 rpm. It was stupid. I could launch the car and it would crawl sideways spinning all 4 tires.

It was setup to run autocross and rallycross events.
57.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back