VIOC extractor oil change - way overfill

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
So this past weekend I posted a thread where I was extremely pleased with the service etc. Well, today checked the oil because I couldn't do it then due to rain. Today I did and it was a full inch and a half above full hash mark. Completely unacceptable. I always complement these places but it's hard when something like this happens.

I decided to drain and refill. I never use the drained oil back in my vehicles because you just don't know what was in the collection container. Anyway, I had no VW508.00 oil on hand so committed sin and used 6 quarts of Mobile 0W-40 i did have and a CH11784 Fram filter i had purchased for future use. I've only driven it to drop off the used-new oil at our lawn guy's house for his hardware.

The 0W-40 502/505 feels exceptionally smooth. But so did the 508.00.

Previous thread:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...00-0w-20-in-the-passat-today#Post5401066

Last edited:
I'm guessing you don't own a vacuum extractor. I would have just removed a little bit of the oil with the extractor until it was at the proper level.

If you didn't have an extractor, I would have went back to VIOC and insisted they remove some of the oil and maybe bring an empty quart oil bottle and ask that they give you an extra quart of oil for top ups.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Do you figure they didn't suck out enough or did they add too much?

Bingo! I know I tried to do the Vacuum extractor on my Sienna's oil change via the dipstick tube. It takes much longer to drain the oil this way. I use the Vacuum extractor for the OPE and for things like reservoirs for the PS and PS Lines etc.

They probably left 1 or more quarts in the sump of the oil old before they filled it up.

Originally Posted by JTK
Do you figure they didn't suck out enough or did they add too much?

Definitely didn't suck out enough because the they added six physical quarts from a box i could see them using.

Originally Posted by c502cid
Just a curiosity question, why didn't you let them just use the drain plug?

They don't on these. It was policy that they extract on these cars.

I changed the oil on my Golf R (also Gen 3 EA888) on Saturday with my Mityvac extractor. It took 5 minutes (not exaggerating). I got just a hair shy of 6 quarts out, and filled up with 6 quarts. It was right at the fill level when completed.

So, in your case I'd say it's just the guys there doing a lousy job vs. the extractor itself. It's very easy to get all the oil out of this car with an extractor. Maybe they drained it before loosening the filter, which would leave a fair bit of oil in the filter housing.

With the top cartridge filter, this is hands down the easiest car to do an oil change I've ever encountered.

Originally Posted by JOD
I changed the oil on my Golf R (also Gen 3 EA888) on Saturday with my Mityvac extractor. It took 5 minutes (not exaggerating). I got just a hair shy of 6 quarts out, and filled up with 6 quarts. It was right at the fill level when completed.

So, in your case I'd say it's just the guys there doing a lousy job vs. the extractor itself. It's very easy to get all the oil out of this car with an extractor. Maybe they drained it before loosening the filter, which would leave a fair bit of oil in the filter housing.

With the top cartridge filter, this is hands down the easiest car to do an oil change I've ever encountered.

Agreed - on the A4 Ultra I serviced, I was able to extract just over 4 quarts. The display showed the car to be 1/2 qt low prior to the service so this was correct. The A4's take just over 5 quarts.

Originally Posted by JOD

I'm firmly in the camp that they didn't extract all the oil too. When I drained it from the plug this morning, 7.5+ quarts came out.

Originally Posted by A_User55555
The last time I went to VIOC, the tech showed me the dipstick to show me the oil was full. Did they not show you your dipstick?

Yes, and it looked good. Not sure now if the young man wiped some with his red shop rag before showing me.

Originally Posted by NYSteve
This isn't meant to flame you, but why go to VIOC if you ended up changing the oil yourself a week later?

Not a problem, I wouldn't take that way as it's a fair question. I had two discounts applied and wanted to get out the house. The few times I have used them there's never been a problem. But I usually change it myself.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JTK
Why would it be policy to not use the drain plug?

They couldn't tell me but my assumption is because the plug is seen as a one time use plastic plug.

If people were not so cheap, and they bought a decent extraction device and since most cars have cartridge style filters up top, they would see how easy and time saving it is. Yet people who bash them or try and say it does not get all of the oil, are the same ones who use the same oil filter for multiple oci. 15 min oil changes, and takes out exact oil that I put in previous oci or what vehicle calls for. But people will take a experience like this, or from a dollar store version and use that to bash this method. People are constantly bashing dealers, quicke lube places Walmart etc etc etc. When if they were willing to drop a few bucks on a good extractor, they would save so much time and energy physically, and then coming on here to whine and nag.

Not unless the composite pan is switched too. I don't have a problem with either being plastic and actually like the setup. It's impossible to strip and has a locking tab to signal its tight once you're done draining. I've also kept one for inspection and they can definitely be reused if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back