Vinyl to press board adhesive?

JHZR2

Staff member
Curious what should be used to permanently adhere old vinyl matrials to old press board door cards.

Some euro DIY used this:

Doesn’t seem to be available here.

Wildwood Landau trim contact adhesive seems well reviewed and potentially good, but then it says it’s not for vinyl.

There’s also one called HH-66 that may be ok as it’s for vinyl. Seems to be a product that has been around a while…

Regular 3m high temperature contact adhesive didn’t work out.

Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Or one of the other products they make. Like this one, a neoprene/polychloroprene adhesive like the one you linked above:

Or one of the other products they make. Like this one, a neoprene/polychloroprene adhesive like the one you linked above:

Thanks. I was looking at the HH-66. Thing is, 3M 90 which is a high temperature, theoretically high strength adhesive failed. So how does one know what was originally used or what may work best?

Thanks. I was looking at the HH-66. Thing is, 3M 90 which is a high temperature, theoretically high strength adhesive failed. So how does one know what was originally used or what may work best?

Look at the service temperature range of the adhesive. This one is good to 250F. HH-66 is good to 150F.

I love adhesives. adhesives are a hobby of mine. Can't wait to hear all the recommendations.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how Landau Top and Trim Adhesive couldn't be used on vinyl - weren't Landau tops vinyl?? Vinyl typically has a backing, which isn't the same as the outside. So perhaps you are only supposed to apply the adhesive to the backing, and not the outside portion that you see installed.

That said, I was in an auto and boat upholstery shop several years ago. They had done good work for me in the past. I wanted to know what adhesive to use for vinyl headliner in an old Porsche. He filled up a plastic container with Weldwood Landau Top & Trim Adhesive, commented it was the best stuff and it was all they used. Good enough for me.

I'm not sure how Landau Top and Trim Adhesive couldn't be used on vinyl - weren't Landau tops vinyl?? Vinyl typically has a backing, which isn't the same as the outside. So perhaps you are only supposed to apply the adhesive to the backing, and not the outside portion that you see installed.

That said, I was in an auto and boat upholstery shop several years ago. They had done good work for me in the past. I wanted to know what adhesive to use for vinyl headliner in an old Porsche. He filled up a plastic container with Weldwood Landau Top & Trim Adhesive, commented it was the best stuff and it was all they used. Good enough for me.
Right, my thoughts too. Those tops were vinyl…

Back