Vinyl Letters on Truck and Rust

Hi, I am going to be taking delivery of my new F150 in 2 weeks time. Ford offers vinyl letters that can be affixed to the tailgate as a cosmetic option. My question is, is there a realistic concern regarding moisture building up behind the letters and promoting rust in the long term?

Lot's of vehicles have vinyl lettering/striping, If adhered well....Dirt/water can't get behind the vinyl. Every time you see TRD, Z71, FX4 etc on the bedside of a truck......

Aren't those trucks aluminum? Body won't rust.
I'm convinced the body rot issues on the steel body Ford trucks is what drove them to aluminum, not weight.

Aren't those trucks aluminum? Body won't rust.
I'm convinced the body rot issues on the steel body Ford trucks is what drove them to aluminum, not weight.
Aluminum corrosion on a Ford. Body shops hate these aluminum Fords. Extremely expensive nightmare to fix.
image_b49ee6bc9941f02f3d1cb7cb515265b8dd5f5472.jpeg

It's unlikely for moisture to "build up" under the vinyl, but even if it did there's paint to protect the metal, and if the paint fails the metal is aluminum so it's not going to rust. Find something else to worry about.

I stay away from dealer added exterior options, especially dealer stickers, had them remove their sticker prior to sign off. ;)

Back