"Vintage" Bulbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found these little boogers tonight at Walmart, was looking for a softer, dimmer lightbulb for the bedroom.
I installed two, 60w
They make the room much more softer, dimmer and amber, which is awesome, as I hate laying in bed or whatnot during the day to a blinding halogen bulb.

1910-Antique-Vintage-Edison-Light-Bulb-60W-220V-E27-Industrial-Radiolight-ST64-Squirrel-Cage-Tungsten-Coffee.jpg

Originally Posted By: Rand
I just use a 3watt led with a lampshade.

shhh don't tell mr edison our secrets

Atleast if Edisons name is on the package (Which it is) it probably wont blow up.
(Cant say that about the other guy whos name is on a certain vehicle)

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Atleast if Edisons name is on the package (Which it is) it probably wont blow up.

Why does the name on the package assure you that it won't "blow up"? Edison is a style, not an assurance of quality.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis

Why does the name on the package assure you that it won't "blow up"? Edison is a style, not an assurance of quality.

Style? Like vintage? Hmmmm...

The local micro-brewery has them in their bar for ambiance.
I can't tell you if the bulb gives them higher sales or not.

I've been wanting to test out a couple of those bulbs. Only problem is I'm cheap and they are like $8.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Cool bulb!

It's a reproduction of the original Edison light bulb. I agree the design of the filament is really cool.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: hatt
I've been wanting to test out a couple of those bulbs. Only problem is I'm cheap and they are like $8.
they will pay for them selves in a few months

Not if you compare them to more efficient bulbs. The cost of the bulb is much less than the cost of electricity it's going to cost to run over the lifetime of the bulb.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Those are available in LED now.
Yes they are. I have a couple of them in LED that I got from SuperbrightLEDs.com. They work great and look great too!

I got a similar bulb for my father in a new desk lamp. He had an old halogen one that was pushing 10, 15 years old and the base broke. He didn't like the 6500K LED that he bought for the room lighting and had swore off LED lighting.

He was quite impressed and really likes the "vintage" LED bulb that I got him. It uses almost no electricity and is quite cool temperature wise when it is running. And it's a nice warm color.

1) The style bulb featured in the OP's picture is not the "original" Edison style bulb.
An early style, yes.
Not trying to be pedantic but my grandfather bought a "50th Anniversary" reproduction of the original bulb.
They kept it in their curio cabinet and my cousin has it today.
I just had to speak up because I think that repro bulb is the COOLEST THING.

Imagine the limited list of note-worthy products which were reproduced: Certain bicycles, a Wearing blender and several fountain pens.
You won't see "original" washing machines or TVs issued commemoratively. That's for sure.
Hmmm....Ford's Limited Edition Commemorative Model T ? NO. We get a listless Thunderbird on a Lincoln pan.

When the State of New York-through a historical site reconstruction/preservation law- funded the resurrection of the New Amsterdam Theatre in NYC the designers (Disney) selected these very bulbs as they were clearly seen in many photographs taken in the '20's and '30's.

FYI: Another old theatre in Buffalo and 6 sites along the old Erie Canal were included in that funding law.

WHOA, that was a trip down memory lane, a fact transfer, a rant and a vent all in one!

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Those are available in LED now.

Yes! And the LED ones are virtually impossible to differentiate from the incandescent ones. You must look closely to see the LED's have straight filaments!

Some incandescent and LED bulbs. I think both look great. But I'll take the energy savings.

E27-40W-Vintage-Retro-font-b-Filament-b-font-Edison-Tungsten-font-b-Light-b-font.jpg

rQUSh.jpg

led-vintage-bulb-gold-tint-st18-shape012345678910.jpg

led-vintage-light-bulb-t6-radio-style-filament-socket.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back