Vinegar in rad for flush?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I almost posted as a reply to
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=000383
but it's so
offtopic.gif
to that thread...I am planning on a really good place doing a flush, they said "allow 4 to 4.5 hours" for them to do their magic. Frankly, I trust them.
Mentioned this plan to a mechanically-minded friend that said what is just as good and WAY cheaper, is to drain it all, replace with 50% vinegar and 50% water, run about 20 mins. Drain all that and replace with plain water. Drain all that and replace with your 50 - 50 or 60 / 40 mix, she's all done.
Remarkably simple, makes logical sense, yet I have never heard of this. Has anyone else?
TIA
Rob

For some applications at work they use citric acid flushes (not acetic - vinegar).

But in every case of an acid flush, there's an inhibitor to stop the acid getting carried away.

There was a powder heavy-duty cleaner available. It came in a paper cylinder container.

If I remember right, it was oxalic acid.

Yes, it came with a powder neutralizer also, in a second compartment of the container.

Vinegar will cut lime the same as any other acid, just slower than citric or oxalic. All the acids attack iron too, just slower than the lime. Maybe a touch of dishwasher detergent to cut oil and other yuck. It should foam the least. You could run some baking soda through to neutralize the vinegar. Rinse, rinse, rinse. Use a low mineral water as the final rinse and make up for refill. Deionized is likely the best, rain water, tap water if it comes from a reservoir. Anything except well water in limestone country.

You can use CLR too, the bathtub/toilet liquid cleaners are also acids that dissolve mineral buildups. I have used vinegar in the past myself, cheap, easy to use, works good. Just remember that whatever you use flush it well, try to get all the flush liquid out that you can, and then use the distilled/rain water as the refill water.

Should this be distilled WHITE vinegar or the regular CIDER vinegar?

I've used the white to take deposits off the shower head and airiatorts in faucets.

Cider is better for makin bbq and hot sauce! use the normal distilled white vinegar for cleaning coffee pots and other water mineral deposit items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back