VIM Stubby Hex Bit Set, Metric, 9-Piece

I grabbed a set as per @Trav's recommendation. I bought them from Home Depot, online, shipped free for under $25. They'll be put to good use.
vim-tools-auto-body-tools-vimshm400-64_1000.jpg

These are great for tight access where a normal bit socket wont fit, a long 1/4 drive ratchet is just the thing to make the most of these.
They are not for high torque applications like a caliper bolt but for small things like eg ecotec water pump sprocket cover they are perfect and more than strong enough, I use the torx bit version a lot.

Dang - how topical. I need a 4mm stubby 1/4 drive to get into a weird place (and will need in the future). I have googled this and found nothing.

I need it to get to the filter housing on a Volvo's Haldex AWD unit. The alternative is to remove the exhaust, then the drive shaft. THEN, pull the awd unit's input flange with a gear puller. Yay - what intelligent design. I was able to get one car serviced with tedious work with a 4mm allen wrench, but no luck on this one.

I hate buying "one-off" tools but Volvo made this a mess, so I guess it's going to happen.

This is the mess they made:
IMG-2955.jpg

Searches? What preferred list?

I think he means how google only shows you search results they "prefer" (paid usually). I have been also searching for stubby hex drive and this didn't come up, or come up in the top few pages of my search. Google puts paid, less accurate, search results higher and suppresses closer/more accurate results.

Got it, thanks for explaining that. Euro makers have a habit of creating interesting challenges, mini and half size tools are a real savior.
Get a long handle 1/4 ratchet if you don't already have one with wobble extensions to to get an extra bit of movement.

The Snap on long 1/4 is a bit pricey but worth every penny, it can really handle a lot of torque for its size, For chrome wobbles I use the ones from capri, well made and nicely finished for a good price.

Has VIM stepped up their game Paul?? I had a set that I bought @20 years ago & in the Hot Rod world I ran across a lot of stainless Allen headed hardware that would chew up VIM bit sockets like candy where Snap-on bit sockets held up really well.

Dang - how topical. I need a 4mm stubby 1/4 drive to get into a weird place (and will need in the future). I have googled this and found nothing.

I need it to get to the filter housing on a Volvo's Haldex AWD unit. The alternative is to remove the exhaust, then the drive shaft. THEN, pull the awd unit's input flange with a gear puller. Yay - what intelligent design. I was able to get one car serviced with tedious work with a 4mm allen wrench, but no luck on this one.

I hate buying "one-off" tools but Volvo made this a mess, so I guess it's going to happen.

This is the mess they made:
View attachment 34774
I've changed that exact filter. I'm not sure the linked stubby set will help.

Don't overcomplicate this one. Use a loose hex key with a ball head. Break it free with the short end and unscrew it with the ball end. It's either a 4mm or a 5mm. Chances are good you have one laying around, but if not, this is a good set to have: https://www.amazon.com/Bondhus-3809...rds=hex+key+set+metric&qid=1606110707&sr=8-45

Good idea - but the ball would need to work on a steep angle, but maybe it would. The pictured kit would work, I have a stubby 1/4" ractchet and it will fit in there with a smaller socket. I forgot about a ball socket so maybe I'll try that tomorrow before I resort to:

The last one I did (on a family member's S60 - actually that is the one in the picture and not my car), I center-punched the side of the socket head, then drove it loose with a chisel. I will likely do this again if the ball socket 4mm doesn't work. Then I replaced the socket headed screw with a standard hex (8mm) so I don't have to go through the nonsense again. I dropped the cover in some HCl to clean it up then painted and re-used the flat one instead of the new finned ones, so I could get back at the bolt heads more easily. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
Has VIM stepped up their game Paul?? I had a set that I bought @20 years ago & in the Hot Rod world I ran across a lot of stainless Allen headed hardware that would chew up VIM bit sockets like candy where Snap-on bit sockets held up really well.

Chris, they seem to have at least with these little ones, I only have these and the Torx stubby set from them but they are holding up okay.
I use them mostly for the front chain covers, they are all button head torx that no regular length bit socket can get into, Blue Point has them but they seem no better or worse and also Taiwan made.

Chris, they seem to have at least with these little ones, I only have these and the Torx stubby set from them but they are holding up okay.
I use them mostly for the front chain covers, they are all button head torx that no regular length bit socket can get into, Blue Point has them but they seem no better or worse and also Taiwan made.
A couple years ago I was searching for stubby 7/32" to adjust the band on a powerglide transmission while in the car, and Blue Point is also where I ended up.

Back