VII Increase in Euro Synthetic 5W30 Oils ?

I appreciate the higher HTHS 3.5 in the Euro Synthetic 5W30 Oils - but became a bit concerned at the potential increase in VII's used (especially for GDI engine intake valve deposits VII's can be responsible for) ... I always thought lower VII's in an oil were better to reduce intake valve deposits - your thoughts / experiences with higher VII levels in Euro synthetic oils ?

All the approvals for those oils have deposit control requirements as well as ring sticking, etc. I trust them a lot more than my ability to read the tea leaves and come up with my own deposit control and oxidation resistance evaluation.

Intake valve deposits are different than those caused by degraded VII polymers. Pick one with a low(ish) SAPS value if that’s your concern.

I appreciate the higher HTHS 3.5 in the Euro Synthetic 5W30 Oils - but became a bit concerned at the potential increase in VII's used (especially for GDI engine intake valve deposits VII's can be responsible for) ... I always thought lower VII's in an oil were better to reduce intake valve deposits - your thoughts / experiences with higher VII levels in Euro synthetic oils ?
I don't believe VII play a role in intake valve deposits. I have no empirical proof of that other than ACEA C3 oils have been used in Europe for almost two decades and running issues due to intake deposits have been relegated to certain GTDI engines rather than all GTDI engines.

Last edited:
What am I missing? VII viscosity index improver?

Last edited:
All the approvals for those oils have deposit control requirements as well as ring sticking, etc. I trust them a lot more than my ability to read the tea leaves and come up with my own deposit control and oxidation resistance evaluation.

Intake valve deposits are different than those caused by degraded VII polymers. Pick one with a low(ish) SAPS value if that’s your concern.
Between say M1 , Pennzoil and Quaker State Euro 5W30 oils - what are their SAPS numbers (not usually published I believe ?)

Back