Vieux Carre Cocktail....

So, during this trying Pandemic, me and the Misses are trying to break the monotony of Weekend bliss with new and different Cocktails.......My pick for this weekend was a drink originating from the French quarter of New Orlean called a “ Vieux Carre”.
It consists of 1 part Rye, 1 part Cognac, 1 part Sweet Vermout, 1/4 ounce Benedictine, 2 dash Perchauds Bitters, 2 dash Agnosta Bitters, Stirred over Ice and poured in an Old Fashioned Glass with one rock, a Marishino Cherry and an lemon slice....OMG.....this Cocktail will catch up to you, if you know what I mean......Anyone have any comments on this?
Thanks....

Last edited:
Yep, had these/made these. I used to date an avid cocktail fan; we did these for a while. Benedictine is always a trap; and Peychaud's (yes) bitters always make things interesting, too.

I am a Bourbon man myself (grew up in KY), but Rye based cocktails are always a little more interesting.

I've also had this cocktail in the "Vieux Carre." I was there (not the first or last time) a little over 20 years ago, on my own because I had an interview at Tulane. Had these and saw "South Pacific" on stage at the Saenger Theater. I had dinner at Antoine's before (my favorite restaurant in the world). What an awesome night, even if I was travelling alone.

PS - I have the world's best Manhattan cocktail recipe. If you all want to pay me royalties, I'll share it. ;)

Last edited:
nice writeup of the vieux carre! i haven’t tried a v.c. yet, but i discovered bitters, both peychaud and angostura, as well as the civilized pleasure of an evening cocktail, during the panic. here is one pleasant online guide:
cheers.

Great cocktail, I love them. I also like sazerac which I think is similar. Good bitters make all the difference. Rye is such a great cocktail whisky

Back