Video of Scope and Mount Flexing

ZeeOSix

$100 site donor 2022
This is obviously a shock inducing rifle (.50 BMG), but all scope and mounts have some kind of movement even on smaller caliber rifles that can reek havoc on them.

I'm not sure if there is any way to stop that on something like a 50 BMG, a 416 Barett,or a 408 Cheyenne for example. One thing for sure, I don't like the way that Picatinny rail is mounted, which might be a major factor there.

Looks like a full floating Picatinny rail.
Next time i go to the range i'll try to get some slo mo of my 50 beowulf ar.

Barrel flex is normal, .22s do it too. That rail flex is troubling to look at but if it all goes back to zero maybe not a problem. Wonder if the owner installed a stouter rail after seeing the video.

That rail flex might be helpful on that rifle, I'd hate to see that scope take the full load.

The heavy semiauto likely has a softer and longer recoil pulse that a bolt action would have. Still massive energy.

I shot a semi .50 at a close range target (200 yards ;)) and it was a BIG push but not a shoulder breaker.

The heavy semiauto likely has a softer and longer recoil pulse that a bolt action would have. Still massive energy.
My 30-06 bolt action Remington 700 kicks pretty darn good. Something you don't want to target shoot all day long.

I shot a semi .50 at a close range target (200 yards ;)) and it was a BIG push but not a shoulder breaker.
I fired a friend's Barrett .50 in a 100 yard indoor range, loud was putting it mildly. I was expecting a big kick, but got a big push much like you described instead. The key is the muzzle break they use.

My 30-06 bolt action Remington 700 kicks pretty darn good. Something you don't want to target shoot all day long.
Used to take mine to the "Egg Shoots" all the time. 180 gr bullet from cold barrel, dead center at 100 yds. Won a few hams and turkeys with that and never noticed the recoil. I was a lot younger then!

Used to take mine to the "Egg Shoots" all the time. 180 gr bullet from cold barrel, dead center at 100 yds. Won a few hams and turkeys with that and never noticed the recoil. I was a lot younger then!
Funny you never notice recoil when you're putting meat on the table. (y) I shot a bunch of deer back in my hunting days and never noticed it.

A LOT depends on the WEIGHT (mass) of the firearm.

My Winchester 1300 Featherweight 12g is a GREAT upland bird hunter. Do NOT shoot magnum loads and look at your shoulder in the mirror. That gun barely weighs 6 pounds.

Anyone have a Savage Light Weight Hunter? Barrel must flex A LOT. That gun has a LIGHT barrel so not for repeated accuracy at the range. 3 Shots and rest, max. Just over 5 pounds. .308. Brutal. My AR-10? Don't even notice, 8 pounds or so. Semi and hefty.

Back