Video Of Santee California Plane Crash

We had a Cessna 210 go down at Peachtree-Dekalb airport here in Atlanta the other day. Four souls were lost. It's a very sad event to see.

Doctor piloting a twin? That practically screams “inexperienced pilot in over their head”. Doctors flying twins is a running joke in professional pilot circles.

”Had a problem and were trying to land”.

My guess: engine failure, followed by loss of control from an inexperienced pilot.

Get slow in one of those, and it rolls over, as do all twins below VMCA.

A classic blunder.

The video shows the airplane at 90 degrees of bank - the result of a loss of control. It’s going relatively fast. To be expected when there is no lift counter acting gravity. It’s a free falling object following the loss of control.

That must have been terrifying. I feel terrible for the UPS driver. What are the odds!

My grandpa died in a small plane crash in Colorado to go hunting before I was born. Pilot was in over his head and got into IFR conditions when he wasn’t rated. Wingtip hit the ground and that was that. Four fatalities

Watching that video one has to ask. He's banked over at 90 degrees, with at least 200+ knots of air blasting over the ailerons, descending rapidly, from what appears to be some recoverable altitude. Why not roll out wings level and pull out? What am I not seeing that prevented that? (Assuming the pilot wasn't incapacitated).

To me flying a plane is like driving a Motorcycle on an icy road,, I just do not have the skillset.
Flying an airplane, even takeoffs, landings, maneuvers are not difficult. It requires a bit more skill than driving, but most airplanes are inherently stable and anyone with normal coordination can learn to do it safely. What kills most pilots is lack of judgment. Which makes it similar to motorcycling.
"As a pilot, I will use my superior judgment to avoid needing my superior stick & rudder skills."

To me flying a plane is like driving a Motorcycle on an icy road,, I just do not have the skillset.

Yeah, I've often glamorized using my GI Bill to get my pilots license, but then reality sinks in and it's just too risky, especially when the stats are against the small plane pilots and I see crashes like this.

Flying an airplane, even takeoffs, landings, maneuvers are not difficult. It requires a bit more skill than driving, but most airplanes are inherently stable and anyone with normal coordination can learn to do it safely. What kills most pilots is lack of judgment. Which makes it similar to motorcycling.
"As a pilot, I will use my superior judgment to avoid needing my superior stick & rudder skills."
I had a friend that was a flight instructor for a few years . When ever there was an opening in his schedule I would get an introductry lesson and I I could land and take off a Cessna 152. I had the confidence I could do a solo flight but flying in not my thing. I love planes any type plane and like going for plane rides. Piloting is not for fools . So I am.

Last edited:
How much time do you have in twins?

A twin with an engine out is anything but stable.

Agreed. I don't fly twins, and for good reason. Common perception is that they are safer (how could they not be, with 2 engines?). Many people don't realize that 2 engines means twice the probability of engine failure, and in a twin, engine failure is more dangerous than in singles, unless the pilot is proficient and current and on top of his game at the moment it happens. Sadly, that is not always the case, especially in GA which doesn't have the discipline and operating standards as commercial and military.

That said, the speed and angle of impact in that video does not look like a Vmc roll. Maybe it is, hard to tell from the poor angle and quality.

Weren't there some twin engine designs meant to operate a single prop? The one I remember was the Lear Fan. I thought that the idea was that if one engine went out, it would still have a single prop without having to compensate.

There is the Cessna 336/337 Skymaster twin, one engine in front, one behind, no differential thrust if an engine fails, so no Vmc. So if you use that airplane to get your multiengine rating, it comes with a centerline thrust limitation.

The ATC recording suggests the pilot was getting distracted and behind the airplane leading up the the crash. Multiple altitude warnings from approach/tower, sounds like he thought he was climbing when he was actually descending.

Last edited:
The ATC recording suggests the pilot was getting distracted and behind the airplane leading up the the crash. Multiple altitude warnings from approach/tower, sounds like he thought he was climbing.
Hmm. Wonder if he became disoriented due to a CO leak from the engine or a buildup of excessive C02 in the cabin?

Last edited:
Back