Video of pileup by Ames. My route to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch.

Am reminded of how i prefer to not drive during rush-hour--totally worth whatever it takes to adjust my work schedule to avoid the worst of times.

Yeah, multi lane roads seem to encourage dumb behavior in winter... It would be good to charge everyone who couldn't stop in time.

Yikes.
frown.gif

That's one reason why I'll never live in an area with snow and ice.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
When weather is bad, you can just stay home - you have a choice.

I guess in FL, when a hurricane is coming, you can start driving north.
smile.gif

Pretty common event in Canada.

Driving too close, driving too fast for conditions, cutting off someone, inattentive driver, panicking driver, blocks of ice, snow falling off trucks and causing evasive manoeuvers, no snow tires, no washer fluid, bad wipers, fate.

Pick one. Wait for a few seconds. Hopefully no bad injuries.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
When weather is bad, you can just stay home - you have a choice.

I guess in FL, when a hurricane is coming, you can start driving north.
smile.gif

Yep, I alternate between shoveling snow and reading a book when we have bad weather.

Although the short days and lack of sun are the real drawbacks to life in the North, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Iowegian
DOT released the video of the pileup by Ames IA from earlier this week.

I often drive this route back and forth from work. https://www.google.com/amp/amp.kcci.com/...pileup/16641740

The worst intersection/merging place is the 35/30 interchange. Glad they are redoing it finally. Glad I take the back roads to and from work.

This was also the first one day 3" + snow that Des Moines area has had in over 2 years. People forget how to drive in snowy weather.

We had the same snowstorm come through, since we're about two hours east of Ames.

What I saw was that the surface temperature was near 32F and when the snow hit hard and fast, the snow on the surface was packed-down and turned into an (unseen) ice film very quickly.

I had to go to our local FEDEX store that day and it was 4 wheel drive mode there and back and very tricky.

Yup.. a whole lot of people driving FAR too fast for the existing conditions.. You know, it doesn't hurt to slow down when there's snow on the road.

I'd say the guy in the red pickup made out pretty well @ 1:40... got himself off the road and (relatively) out of harms way without hitting any other vehicles.

This happened last year just east of my hometown in Newcastle Ont. When I heard about it, I said to myself, what snow as it was bright and sunny just a few kms before where this accident took place.

Many interviewed said it was like driving into a white out that came upon them suddenly. Luckily no one was seriously hurt as it could have very easily ended in tragedy.

I wasn't there so I am not going to comment but I have been in similar situations with snow/fog, and it's amazing how quick things can change!
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
...the surface temperature was near 32F and when the snow hit hard and fast, the snow on the surface was packed-down and turned into an (unseen) ice film very quickly [...] it was 4 wheel drive mode there and back and very tricky.

Where I live on the coast in western Canada, snow like that is the only snow we ever get. What happens is the air and the pavement are just warm enough that nothing freezes, so there's water mixed into the packed snow, making it extremely slippery. It's like driving on grease, and walking is no better - lots of sprains and broken limbs on a snow day. What's worse, if the municipal crews get out before the snow and spray a layer of ice melter, it actually makes it worse for the first few hours. Once it all gets mixed in and the road is covered in slush, it's fine. Until then, it's lethal.

Originally Posted By: jaj
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
...the surface temperature was near 32F and when the snow hit hard and fast, the snow on the surface was packed-down and turned into an (unseen) ice film very quickly [...] it was 4 wheel drive mode there and back and very tricky.

Where I live on the coast in western Canada, snow like that is the only snow we ever get. What happens is the air and the pavement are just warm enough that nothing freezes, so there's water mixed into the packed snow, making it extremely slippery. It's like driving on grease, and walking is no better - lots of sprains and broken limbs on a snow day. What's worse, if the municipal crews get out before the snow and spray a layer of ice melter, it actually makes it worse for the first few hours. Once it all gets mixed in and the road is covered in slush, it's fine. Until then, it's lethal.

I agree. Around here, usually the night before if they know snow/colder temps are coming, they spray a brine on the roads but if we get above a couple inches, it makes things much worse, imo!
The brine will melt the first cm or 2 but if it comes down quick and is more than that, it is just like driving through greasy slop with practically zero traction.
They are further ahead to salt/plow than to put that sh*t down, imo.

My heart goes out to those involved. Many years ago, I was involved in a pile up on interstate because of DWI driver. Something you never forget. OMG

Respectfully,

Pajero!

I was in the interior of the province last weekend and for the 250 mile drive home, I checked route weather on the two highways through the mountains to the coast. Both were supposed to have snow flurries in the morning and rain in the afternoon, but when I checked the highway cams, it was clear that the faster route had snow and the slower route had none. I opted for the slow route, and it was a mix of sun and cloud with clear roads and almost no traffic the whole way home. Got home, flipped on the TV news and the first big story was about snow on the other route causing a tour bus crash that closed the road for hours.

Originally Posted By: volk06

The worst intersection/merging place is the 35/30 interchange. Glad they are redoing it finally. Glad I take the back roads to and from work.

Especially during an Iowa/Iowa State game.

I am headed out to beat this storm.

Winter Storm Warning for Southern Alberta
Active for next 14 hours · Environment Canada
This alert has been updated.
Posted 2 hours ago
Significant amounts of snow, with total amounts of 25 to 35 cm is expected.

An area of heavy snow has formed over central Alberta and the mountain parks this morning. This area of heavy snow will continue to intensify and move southward through the day today. Heavy snow will continue through Wednesday night and most of the day Thursday before beginning to gradually taper off Thursday evening.

In the mountain parks and along the foothills snowfall accumulations may reach as high as 50 cm in a few localities, especially over higher terrain.

###

Rapidly accumulating snow could make travel difficult over some locations.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #ABStorm.
Recommended actions
Consider postponing non-essential travel until conditions improve. Prepare for quickly changing and deteriorating travel conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back