Video Conference Calls On A Smart Phone

In order to have a video conference call on a smart phone, is an internet connection required?
I ask because my internet is still down from the hurricane and l have a Drs. appt. video conference call this Tuesday. l'm not sure if my internet will be up and running then.
I'm using the mobile data on my phone to get on the internet. Can that be used if the internet is not back on? 🤔

In order to have a video conference call on a smart phone, is an internet connection required?
If you're asking if it's necessary to be on wifi, then no. You'll just be using your phone's data plan instead, which is also "an internet connection." Just keep in mind, video does eat up a lot of data quickly.

Thanks QP.
I can repair computers and cell phones physically, somewhat. But when it comes to knowing about modern electronic jargon, I'm illiterate. AKA, challenged! :ROFLMAO:

If you can get online now, you can do a video conference. If you are not on an unlimited plan, it can eat up your data quickly. Depending on your connection speed, video could be choppy, and may default to a low def quality, as well as some audio cutting out.

Depending on your connection speed, video could be choppy, and may default to a low def quality, as well as some audio cutting out.
The joys of zero-rating. The coders at Zoom, Microsoft and LogMeIn(who owns GoToMeeting) have figured out efficiency via codecs and video conferencing doesn’t draw their ire like say, Netflix or Fortnite/PUBG.

My internet and cable came back on tonight. I have a very nice credit coming from my cable/internet company (was out for 5 days).
Do I need to still turn on my MOBIL DATA to receive a video conference call? Or, leave it off?
There's a VIDEO CALLING button on my phone that reads;
"Your phone will not be able to make or receive video calls when you turn this setting off."
It also states;
"Your phone's VIDEO CALLING function won't work when mobile data is off. Also, you won't be able to use the internet, Email or other apps that need a data connection unless you have WI-FI. Turn off the mobile data connection?"
Okay, being my internet is back up and running, can I turn my mobile data off to receive my Drs. Video Conference call, or leave it on? If I leave it on, will it over ride my WI-FI connection and eat up my mobile data plan? Or, turn it off and I will still receive my VIDEO CONFERENCE call by using my WI-FI connection only?
I'm so confused! :eek:😮

Last edited:
You should be able to use the WiFi for this, even with data off.

What app are you using for this call? Does the wife/friend/extended family have the same app, and can you do a test run ahead of time? Leave data off, give them a call. Worst that can happen is that you have to turn data back on--but you'd at least know that ahead of time.

You should be able to use the WiFi for this, even with data off.

What app are you using for this call? Does the wife/friend/extended family have the same app, and can you do a test run ahead of time? Leave data off, give them a call. Worst that can happen is that you have to turn data back on--but you'd at least know that ahead of time.
I called VERIZON, my wireless provider. They said as long as I have WI-FI to leave mobile data off and let WI-FI take over. If I lose WI-FI then turn on mobile data to let it take over.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm new to mobile data, even though I have had a cell phone for umpteen years. 🤔

I leave my data on all the time, the phone will automatically default to using WiFi if you’re connected. But I also have an unlimited data plan. Not sure about Android, but iOS will fall back to cellular data if it detects a problem with the WiFi.

Back